The Road Home

I slept comfortably for hours, still and breathing softly.

Healing Shiro from near death was a struggle and took all the energy I had left, so I barely had a choice but to rest, with enough convincing from my body and friends.

"This is Katie Holt, Paladin of the Green Voltron Lion, broadcasting to Earth." Pidge said through her radios, "Does anyone copy? Over."

Pidge's brow creased when there was no answer to her transmission. She increased the power to her radio and tried again.

"I repeat, this is the Paladin of the Green Lion and part of the Voltron Coalition. If you hear, please respond. Over."

Still, there was no answer. Only crackling static.

"Dad, are you there?"

Giving up for a moment, Pidge swiped away her screens and hugged her legs close to her chest, wrapping her arms around her legs and burying her head in her knees.

Meanwhile, I rested in the White Lion, with Luna snuggled against me and Keith and Allura sitting near me to make sure I was okay.

Keith sighed and smiled, gently holding my soft hand.

"How long do you think she'll be asleep?" Keith asked.

"Not much longer, I hope." Allura said calmly, "She did use a great amount of energy to save Shiro. It will take some time for her wake up."

Allura gently stroked my hair, she gasped when she noticed something different about it.

"Keith, her hair. It's been cut." She gasped.

Keith looked down sadly at the memory of him cutting my hair with his sword while we were fighting Shiro.

"Yeah. I cut it by accident while we were fighting Shiro." He explained, "I had to cut through it to cut off Shiro's arm. But it's strange, when it was cut, it was cut to below the shoulders. It wasn't this long before."

Allura sighed with closed eyes. She opened then again and looked at Keith softly with such kindness.

"Whatever the case, it was for the best." She said, "Besides, her hair grows fairly quickly as you can see. It should grow back to its previous length in not time."

Keith smiled again, clenching my hand one last time before standing up.

"We should head back to the others." Keith said before looking down at Luna, "Luna, can you watch over her for a little bit?"

Luna purred and snuggled her head closer to mine. I smiled in my sleep and pushed myself closer into Luna's warm fur.

Keith and Allura walked out of my lion and towards the rest of the group.

"Hey, how's Zurine?" Shiro asked. He was okay for now, but he was back to having only one arm and a full head of white hair.

Other than that, he was perfectly healthy and strong enough to travel through space.

"She'll be fine." Allura answered, "Zurine is strong, so she'll wake up any time now."

Pidge walked towards the group, her head held down and sad.

"Were you able to contact Earth?" Shiro asked as Pidge sat next to him.

"No luck." Pidge replied sadly, "The low powet levels are probably affecting our broadcast distance. I'll keep trying as we head for Earth."

Lance smiled and sighed with relief, yet, had a sense of disbelief in his voice, "I can't believe we're finally going home." He said.

"I'm gonna hug my parents and never let go." Hunk said as he imagined the feeling of being hugged by his parents.