Chapter 34: Uncertainty and A Shopping Spree- (4/4)

Start from the beginning

I found an oil lamp sitting next to a tomb stone. It still has a sufficient amount of oil left. I dug in my tool belt to try and find my lighter. After a moment of searching, I found what I was looking for and positioned it next to the wick. With a flick, the wick of the oil lamp was covered in a small flame. 

I hid my lighter in my tool belt and focused on my surroundings. With the help of the lamp, I managed to navigate my way through the graveyard. 

I walked along the stone trail and began my search for my friends.

"SonEx?! Amy?! Shadow?!" I yelled out. But nobody answered. "Guys?! Where are you?!" I yelled once again, but to no avail. "Cream?! Blaze?! Silver?!" I yelled once again, hope still left inside of me. 

But then, I heard...

Cries.

"Who's there?!" I panicked, digging in my tool belt to find any form of weapon. But all I could find was a metal wrench...

The cries began to become louder and louder with every step I took. "I-I-I have a wr-wrench a-and I'm n-not afraid to use it!!!" I threatened them. But the cries just got louder. I directed the oil lamp to every direction possible and tried to find the source of the cry. 

And then I saw a silhouette in the distance. A familiar one.

Whoever this person is, they were kneeling in front of a tombstone with their hands cupping their face. "Uh, h-hello...?" I blurted out. The person heard me and slightly stopped themselves from crying.

The person faced my direction and stared at me.

Creep-ed out, I decided to talk to them. 

"H-Hello...?" I spoke up.

The being still stared at me for a while, until they spoke up. 

". . . Tails?" 

I flinched and ran over as quick as I could. As soon as I was in front of her, I stopped.

"(Y/N)...?" I said, confused.

No, it's an another trick! She's tricking you!

Oh, shut up! I know this is her!

How can you be so sure? The last time you did that, you were almost turned into a stuffed doll!

Be silent!

"(Y/N), what are you doing here...?" I asked her with a lot of uncertainty in my tone. She was crying and her eyes were puffy and red. She just stared at me and before I knew it, she burst into tears! "Hey, hey... What's wrong...?" I asked her once more while crouching down, hoping to get an answer from her this time. 

". . . You're not the Tails from this timeline, aren't you...?

My eyes went wide because of her unexpected answer. 

I was sure of the equations and laws of time traveling, but I didn't expect it to become 0 to 100 real quick!!!

How could she tell that?! She doesn't have any proof! And most of all, how could she know that I came from the past?!

". . . No, no I'm not..." I sighed. "How could you tell...?" I asked her. She just went silent and looked away. I stared at her and tried to think of ways of how to get her to talk, but judging from her current situation, she doesn't look very... Talkative.

". . . What are you doing in the middle of a foggy graveyard, (Y/N)?" I asked after a long moment of silence. She wasn't looking at me. I mentally sighed at myself. "Way to go, me. That'll definitely get her to talk..." I thought to myself as I rubbed my face. 

I then noticed that (Y/N) heaved a long sigh. 

". . . Grieving." She answered. 

I couldn't get it at first, so I made sure if I heard her right. "Pardon?" I asked her. "Grieving." She said, flatly. I got way more confused that my confusion level is probably up to 500 now. ". . . Grieving for what...?" I asked her, hesitantly.

"Not 'what', Tails... It's 'who'..." She trailed off as the fog began to slowly clear up, revealing rows and rows of....

Tombstones.

A sharp gasp left my mouth as soon as I realized that the words imprinted on the stones are now decipherable. (Y/N) began to cry her eyes out again.

". . . It should have been me, Tails..." I heard her sob. 

". . . What...?" I faced her. 

"It should have been me, instead of them." She pointed at the tombstone in front of her. My confusion level was now up to 1000. I decided to read the words out loud.

Engraved on the stone were the words:

"𝒜 𝓁𝑜𝓋𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒽𝑒𝓇𝑜, 𝒽𝓊𝓈𝒷𝒶𝓃𝒹, 𝒷𝓇𝑜𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓇, 𝒶𝓃𝒹  𝒻𝓇𝒾𝑒𝓃𝒹...

𝒜 𝓅𝑒𝓇𝓈𝑜𝓃 𝓌𝒽𝑜 𝓁𝑒𝒻𝓉 𝓈𝑜𝓂𝑒𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒷𝒾𝑔𝑔𝑒𝓇 𝓉𝒽𝒶𝓃 𝒽𝒾𝓂𝓈𝑒𝓁𝒻.

𝒜 𝓅𝑒𝓇𝓈𝑜𝓃 𝓌𝒽𝑜 𝓈𝒶𝒸𝓇𝒾𝒻𝒾𝒸𝑒𝒹 𝒽𝒾𝓈 𝓉𝒾𝓂𝑒 𝒻𝑜𝓇 𝑜𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓇𝓈.

𝒜 𝓅𝑒𝓇𝓈𝑜𝓃 𝓌𝒽𝑜 𝓈𝒶𝒸𝓇𝒾𝒻𝒾𝒸𝑒𝒹 𝒽𝒾𝓈 𝓁𝒾𝒻𝑒 𝒻𝑜𝓇 𝒽𝒾𝓈 𝓌𝑜𝓇𝓁𝒹.

𝐹𝒶𝓇𝑒𝓌𝑒𝓁𝓁...

𝒮𝑜𝓃𝐸𝓍 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝐻𝑒𝒹𝑔𝑒𝒽𝑜𝑔."

My voice cracked as I choked on those last words.

I dropped the oil lamp from my grip, before rubbing my eyes to make sure that what I'm seeing was accurate. Tears began to gush out of my eyes as I clenched my fists tightly. 

"No." I growled. (Y/N) seemed to direct her attention to me. "No." I repeated myself. "This isn't real. This isn't gonna happen, right...?" I smiled at (Y/N), hoping that her answer meets my expectation. She only smiled at me and held my hands.

"I wished it didn't." Was all that she said before letting go.

My heart shattered into millions of pieces. I let anger take control of me. I just... Gave up.

I stood up despite that my knees were buckling. I looked up and saw the other tombstones. I couldn't help but notice...

Amy, Shadow, Blaze, Silver, Rouge, Knuckles.... And... Cream.

Every single one that I know and love has their own tombstone...

I dropped down to the ground once again and held onto the stone in front of me.

"NO! NO! NO!" I shouted as I pounded my fists on the tombstone. 

"THIS ISN'T REAL! THIS ISN'T HAPPENING!!!" I shouted as I punched the stone with my bare fists in between words. "THIS WON'T HAPPEN! I'LL MAKE SURE OF IT!!! I'LL MAKE SURE OF IT!!!!" I yelled in between sobs.

". . . And I'm gonna start by giving Sark what he deserves."