Learning English

For Oliver, the moment couldn't have been any better. He was sitting there, in the comforts of his house, connected with his boyfriend. Their video call was running fairly smoothly for the first time in weeks and there was a lot of commotion going on.

Even if it was mostly Fukase talking and explaining about what kept him up at night, Oliver was happy. Hearing Fukase talk that excitedly warmed his heart and made him forget for a second how far they were apart.

Both of them met online and developed the majority of their current relationship status through chatrooms, but now that they had met up for a few weeks eventually, neither of them could deny the yearning urge to be closer to each other to all times. Even so, current conditions didn't allow it that easily, so particularly Oliver tried to push these thoughts aside and rather focus on the present. After all, there was the redhead right in front of him, displayed on the screen of his laptop, gesturing wildy.

"...and then suddenly the place was crowded. The...uh..people life saver had so many trouble to get there."

Oliver froze. A smirk grew on his face. "The what?"

"That's not what they're called, right?" Fukase sounded flustered and cleared his throat. "You know, these doctors that are not real doctors and drive around in an ambulance car."

"Paramedics."

Fukase tried imitating Oliver's pronunciation, and then brushed it off again. Sighing heavily, he lowered his head.

"You need to learn Japanese. That is going to make it much more easy."

"Pfft, right," Oliver snorted. Solely the thought of learning Japanese made a shiver crawl down his spine. Undoubtedly, he would love to hear Fukase talk in Japanese all the time but this wasn't an option to him for now; Oliver was not the most linguistically gifted one, after all. 

"I love hearing you talk in English though. Your accent is so cute," Oliver said and smiled even brighter. He leaned his face against his palm as he watched Fukase averting his eyes in silence. Despite the poor camera quality, Oliver figured that his boyfriend was all flustered. It made him smile even more.

"I will work on it...if I become good lessons of course," Fukase muttered but curved his lips to a smile. A suggestive wink only supported his intentions and Oliver couldn't help but laugh. He nodded as soon as he calmed down again.

"I will help you."

"Promise?"

Oliver nodded once again, holding up his pinky finger.

"That's a promise."

"Hey, did you actually call the mechanic now? I can literally smell the rust on the pipes," Fukase sighed and put his keys down in the key bowl. Oliver barely looked up from his phone and nodded.

"He'll be here in about two hours."

"Perfect," Fukase breathed out and laid down next to Oliver, "then I'll have a bit of cuddling time, no?"

Fukase buried his face in Oliver's collarbone pit, causing the blond to stiffen up but cry out in laughter.

"Fuka, stop! Your face is cold."

With a lopsided grin, the redhead laid his head on Oliver's chest now and reached for the blond's hand holding the phone. He tilted it down a little, but frowned at the text on it.

"What's that?"

"Eh, I'm just rereading our old chats."

"You screenshot them?"

"You didn't?"

Fukase looked up, only to lock with Oliver's confused frown. A chuckle escaped the redhead's throat.

"Of course."

Oliver continued to swipe through the photos, reading aloud particularly embarrassing parts. Fukase only groaned at the many linguistic mistakes his lover pointed out and turned away to face his own phone. Even so, the blond wouldn't stop reading and marking the respective scenes.

"After all these years, you really improved your English though. Congrats, I'm proud of you."

Fukase looked up form his phone, wondering whether Oliver was being sarcastic again. Quite to his surprise, he found the blond wearing a genuine smile directed at him, waiting for a response. Subconsciously, Fukase's lips already curved to a small smile before he could comprehend it.

"Well, I had the best teacher."

This might be a short drabble, but this is exactly what I've been waiting to write out for years! Now that I consider my English to be good enough, I finally managed to show the problems of communicating in a language that is different from your mother tongue. Olikase now got to taste a bit of that harsh reality as well. Thanks for reading!