Chapter One

Evelyn was ready for the day, or as ready as her body allowed her

Evelyn was ready for the day, or as ready as her body allowed her. She had to put a smudge of foundation under her eyes to cover up her tiredness and wore a comfy hoodie and skinny jeans. Her style was casual. That was the only style she knew, her uncle wouldn't give her anything but hand me downs. After she ate an enormous breakfast Evelyn began her walk to the school.

Elena met her in the hall and Evelyn gave her friend a warm smile, "Are you ready for this school year?"

Bonnie looked over, giving a small smile to Evelyn. Elena smiled also, "yeah."

Evelyn knew that was a lie. She had met Elena when she was at the peak of her depression. But she let it slide, not knowing how to tell her nicely that it's okay to not be okay. That's how life is sometimes. Evelyn was just hoping this town was her silver lining.

"So, I heard Elena talked you into joining the cheer squad," Caroline said, walking up to the small group. Then she spotted Elena and squealed before engulfing the girl in a hug and asking if she was okay.

Evelyn smirked before shrinking off in the distance. The day went by without hinge before she got into the one class she has with Elena, Bonnie, and Caroline. Coach Tanner was immediately not her favorite person. He was rather rude. As the class went on she noticed Elena looking behind her at a tall, handsome boy. He wasn't Evelyn's type but something was off about him. She shook off her feeling, trying to train her brain not to think like her Uncle.

As she left the classroom a boy stopped her, he was barely taller than her with black hair and a cocky grin on his face. She raised an eyebrow as he looked her up and down.

"Haven't seen you here before, you must be the new girl,"

"Evelyn. Who are you?"

"My name is Tyler,"

"Well, Tyler. I'm going home so please remove yourself from my path."

"You know, I could show you around,"

A new voice entered the mix, "leave her alone Tyler,"

Looking up, she noticed Matt. Elena's ex boyfriend. She was told about him several times. Tyler frowned, taking a defensive step backwards.

"My bad, I was just offering her a tour,"

Matt watched him leave before turning back to Evelyn, "I'm Matt, you alright? Sorry about my friend."

"I'm fine, I think I can handle a horny teenager. I'm Evelyn, by the way,"

He chuckled before looking behind her. Evelyn followed his gaze and saw Elena walking down the hall. She gave Matt a small smile.

"Elena told me about you two, are you alright?" Evelyn questioned.

Matt almost frowned, "yeah,"

Evelyn knew he was lying too. She said goodbye to him as he walked away. Matt was friend material but she just didn't know how to do it. She continued to walk toward the exit, only to have a boy bump into her as she exited the building. Turning, she smiled sweetly at Jeremy.