69. Prince Charming

Start from the beginning

I text Vin and then call Jack to tell him I won't be coming in, which he seemed annoyed about but I don't care. There are few things I hate more than working on weekends, and one of those things is Jack.

I wait a little bit longer to see if Jess will wake up on her own; but when she doesn't, I take the blankets and pull them to the other side of the bed. She groans and reaches for them, but they're too far out of reach.

"Willll," she whines curling up into a little ball.

"Jesssss," I say back in the same tone. "I know you don't want to waste your whole family day in bed."

She makes some sort of sound between a groan and a sigh as she wiggles her way around so she's facing me. There's a faint trace of a smile on her lips are her eyes flutter open to meet mine.

"We could visit them another time," she says in a scratchy morning voice that makes her look even more endearing.

"You're just saying that because you're comfortable. Come on. Get up."

I poke her side until she gives in and finally sits up trying to poke me back. It's easy for me to grab both of her hands and pull them behind her back.

"Good morning," I say kissing her until she frees her hands and immediately wraps them around my neck. "We'll never leave if you keep that up," I respond to her small hands gently grabbing onto my hair.

"Just one more minute," she replies kissing me again and I loose track of the minutes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You're okay with staying the night?" she asks as we make our way up to the house. We're a little later than we originally planned, but I blame Jess for that.

"I told you about five times on the way here that I was okay with it."

It really was about five times.

"You didn't bring anything."

"Yes I did," I say pointing to the drawstring bag on my back.

"Okay, you brought barely anything."

"I don't need anything else."

I hope she gets the double meaning behind that sentence, and from her hidden smile, I think she does.

"Dad texted and said we can just come in through the garage."

She punches in the garage code as I look around the now green lawn. It's like the whole neighborhood looks different now that the snow has melted. I've never lived in a real suburban area, and I never wanted to until seeing this place. It reminds me of those picture perfect housing developments from books or movies. Actually, just movies. I don't read books.   

"You're not nervous again, are you?" Jessi asks from inside the garage. I hadn't even noticed that the door had opened.

"No, just thinking."

What would it be like to live in one of these neighborhoods with Jessi? I've always liked the idea of living downtown so I didn't have far to drive to work, but I wouldn't mind living somewhere like here. That's when I realize I really don't care where I live, as long as it's with Jessi. I need to get that thought out of my head, because I know she wouldn't want to move in with me. She's too logical, and I'm not logical at all when it comes to her.

"And I wasn't nervous last time," I mutter as we make our way into the house. Jessi just rolls her eyes because we both know that I was. I'm glad that initial meeting is over with. Her family seems to like me enough, more than I thought they would.