50.

Gerald version
I arrived to the hospital. Ran to one of the nurses and told them who I was and I was going to get Ayla. Maggie was there yelling and screaming. I just ignored her and followed the doctor to where Ayla was staying.

She sees me. "Daddy!" I ran to hug my daughter.
"It's okay baby, I'm here. Daddy's here now." She cried. "You're safe with daddy.
"Is mommy okay? Is my sister okay?"
"Yes both of them are okay. I'm here to take you home with me." I wiped off her tears.
"What about my sister?"
"I'll go talk with your mom to see if it's okay that I take her. Just stay here." I left the room and went to Alex's room. She was beat up badly. She was awake. Maggie was there with here.

Maggie looked at me in disgust. I just walked in respectfully. "I'm here to take Ayla. And maybe Anastasia."
"I thought you said I can take both of them with me Alex." She looks at me one more time "you trust him with the girls than me! You won't take them." She gets up and looks at my face. "You're fucking insane."
"Maggie stop." Alex said quietly. But Maggie was yelling and screaming "Margot stop for once!" She begins to tear up "you don't get it. I lost my husband tonight. I told the nurse to call Gerald to get the girls because I know I can't right now in this condition neither can you since you have your music."
"Neither can Gerald. He doesn't care of Ayla! Why will he care this time especially with Anastasia since she's not his daughter."
"You know what Margot. Tonight I was scared. I was scared to lose my daughter. I know I've been an asshole to her and she doesn't deserve me to be her father but deep down I love her. And I don't care if Anastasia isn't my daughter because I'll raise her if she was my daughter. She lost her father tonight. Alex lost her husband tonight just have a little bit of sympathy for your sister and nieces." Maggie leaves angry. "I'm sorry Alex. I didn't want to do this especially now."
"It's fine. Yeah you can't take the girls with you. I'll talk to the doctors to release them both with you."
"Thank you." I left the room so Alex can sleep. I went back to he waiting room.

Maggie left the hospital pissed. Yasmin and Matt were waiting for me. "Is everything okay? How's Ayla? How's Alex?" Yasmin asked but matt was quiet.
"Umm yeah. Ayla has some cuts and bruises but they'll heal. Alex is in recovery but heartbroken since she lost her husband tonight. And she told me to take Ayla and Anastasia with me. Until she recovers and is stable. Maggie can't candle the girls so she said I should."
"Ohh. Gerald I'll help you with the girls. Anything they need." Yasmin hugs me "I know you're dealing with everything because you thought you lost Ayla. But you'll be a good dad to her and be a great role model to the girls." Matt went to see Alex. There was hardly any communication towards us.

I told yasmin to wait for me in the waiting room while I was getting the girls. Ayla was in the room and I was helping her putting on her shoes. "Daddy, where's Jace? Is he coming with us?"
"Sweetheart, Jace isn't here. He left to do to an important job. He's up in the sky taking care of you, your sister and your mom. I never told you about your grandma Melissa. He's up there with grandma Mel taking care of you guys."
"Why didn't you get the job daddy?"
"Because im not so important and a good daddy so I'm here doing my job. Taking care of you and Anastasia. I'll do anything to be there. Come on we should go and get your sister." We left the room. I went to say bye to Alex and promised her I would take care of the girls. The nurse gave me Anastasia. She looked like Alex but her skin was the same color as her father and maybe the kindness will appear just like him.

The first night Anastasia couldn't stop crying. Now I know how did Alex went through with Ayla without me. My sleeping schedule will be fucked up. But it didn't matter. Yasmin helped as much as she could. She had no problem. The only thing I want is everyone to get along.

After a week we got use to it and it's more easier. Anastasia is an easy baby to take care of and Ayla was happy to be here with us. I was happy to be with Ayla and with Anastasia. I wonder if I never fucked up would this be the same life I would had with Alex. Anyway I'm happy now.

Alex was out of the hospital and Maggie went to pick her up. She called me that she wasn't ready mentally to see the girls. I told her not to stress about anything and to just get better for the girls. Matt came by to check in but everything was looking fine. Then he would tell me how was Alex doing.

Alex called me that today is the funeral for Jace and if it was okay that I have the girls with me since she doesn't want them to see her in a bad condition. I told her not to worry about anything. Yasmin has helped me around with Anastasia and Ayla.

Maybe breaking a bad relationship towards us will be better for the girls and grow to a fresh start.