ten.

craig:

i inhale the dark smoke from the cigarette and i blow it out again. i'm sitting on the ground and leaning against the tree, sam's sitting next to me as roxanne and jake run after eachother in the field. leo is smashing bottles at the near-by convenience store with ruth and jay and cass is braiding kylie's pitch-black hair. 

"craig?"

"yeah?" i look at sam as the stars above us twinkle, his green eyes shine under the moon.

"are you okay?"

it's been a while since i've thought about if i was okay, "i honestly don't know, actually," i sigh, putting out the cigarette, "what about you?" sam smiles locking his eyes with mine as we listen to the wind howl at 2 am. 

"terrified, i'm fucking terrified," he run his hand through his hair, "i don't know what i'm supposed to expect other than fucking chaos, i've been overthinking everything, everyone."

it stays silent between us as he poured his heart out to me, i let my hand rest on the cold, soft grass. i hear sam's breathing next to me as i look at the bright stars above us, light mist covering the otherwise clear skies. i feel sam place his hand next to mine and i look away, not ready to accept him yet.

"how do you overthink everything?" i ask him, trying to tear my attention away from the warm mass next to my hand.

"well," he sighs again, this time deeper, shakier, "i think everything that someone does has something to do with what i did, i feel like i've done everything wrong and it's annoying," i nod. 

"i feel like i do that too," i agree, "i just felt even worse after i found out everything you knew, but honestly i feel like you wanted to know what was wrong with me and what i was saying. all i can say is--"

"thank you," we say simultaneously.

"yeah," sam smiles "i guess we fucked it up pretty badly."

"it's too late to apologize, sam," i smile, weakly, "but we can forget it," i pull away my hand so i prop it on my lap. sam swallows and nods, turning away. i still look at him as a feel small tears prick in my eyes and i look at his hand.

do it.

no don't.

do it.

no.

yes.

i don't think--

just fucking do it, craig scott.

i place my hand on top of his hand and i look away, "craig," i hear sam say, "what are you doing?" i feel the color from my face drain but i don't look at him.

"sorry," i pull away my hand.

well done.

should've listened.

sam:

i look at craig as he continues looking at the park. i rub the top of my hand he just touched.

fuck soulmates.

i grab his hand from his lap and i place it next to me, he looks at me in awe as i place my hand on top of his. his eyes sparkle, per usual may i add, just glowing balls of captured sea in his head. i shuffle closer to him and he does too. 

"thanks," craig smiles as he places his head on my shoulder.

"no problem."

i let his hand to go to wrap my arm around him, his hair rubs against my bare skin as i sigh. he smells surprisingly sweet, which is adorable too.

suddenly, i feel a burning sensation on my shoulder blades.

this is it.

my soulmate is on my body.

"sam?" craig looks at me, "are you okay?"

"i got the tattoo."

"really?" craig smiles, "are you going to check it?" i shake my head.

"i don't care who it is."