two.

sam:

i sit down on the bench outside of school with a lit cigarette in my hand, i bring the cigarette to my mouth. i lean against the school walls as i listen to the bustling of all of high school in the cafeteria, even though i'm alone.

"those could kill you, you know?"

"that's what i'm hoping for," i chuckle as i look over to where the voice is coming from.

"it's not that funny, sam," craig swings his bag from his shoulder onto the ground as he sits next to me.

"s-sorry," i stutter as he looks at me sternly, it stays quiet as he sighs, "so, 17 in a couple of months, correct?" craig looks at me and nods.

"are you looking forward to it?"

"yours or mine?" i joke.

"yours," craig answers, genuinely, not getting the joke which makes me smile, "what?"

"nothing," i blow the smoke away from him, "not really, i just feel like i'm under so much pressure and what if i don't get a name or a name that i don't know like jay did?"

craig looks at me, "you've never expressed your emotions to me like that," he responds, "but i get what you mean."

"what about you, craig-ster?" i look at him as i flick the butt away, "are you scared too?"

"very," he sighs, "i just wish that whoever's name i get plastered on my skin will love me, be my best friend and will stay with me, unlike everyone here," i feel my heart freeze for a second, does he really think like that about us?

"is that how you really feel?" i ask him as he stops talking, "about us?" craig nods solemnly, hopping down from the bench. he swings his bag over his shoulder as the bell rings and he walks away, with a small wave.

"fuck--" i sigh, "me."

craig:

i nearly walk into a couple making out, a teacher and a wall as i make my way to the last few lessons i know sam won't be there. i make my way to kyle and jay, they frown as i don't say anything as i slide into the seat behind them. i smile as i hold sam's cigarette box in my hand and as i stuff it into my bag.

"dude," kyle punches my arm which makes me wince, "you okay?"

"bueno," i respond, scowling at him as i rub my sore arm.

"he's thinking about you-know-who again!" jay chuckles.

i roll my eyes since i don't know how to step up for myself, i don't want to attract attention but i'm too late. "what are you buttfuckers talking about?" a voice shrills through my ears.

"fuck off, aaron," jay snaps as i plant my face into my arms, "get your fat ass outta here."

"yeah, bitch," kyle adds, "fuck off."

"why isn't the fag helping you then?" aaron retorts, god-fucking-dammit, leave me alone, "well?"

but i feel someone standing in front of me.

"because everything you say is bullshit, ron," a voice claps back for me, "now go and find yourself a life before i tell your mommy you're saying bad words again," multiple 'ooooh's' are heard around the classroom.

"oh yeah?" aaron speaks up again as i look up, sam is standing in front of me with the largest smile plastered on his face "oh yeah? let's see how tough you really are."

"you'd need to pin one arm down for it to be fair for him, sam," jay backs him up.

"fight me then, bitch," aaron steps up, "bet this time that your brother won't beat me up for it."

he really went there, huh? aaron really targeted sam's late brother that overdosed. murmurs arise from around us as sam is dead silent. "sit down, everyone!" the teacher finally walks in, "tucker and stevenson, sit your asses back into your seats or i'll send you to detention."

i mouth 'thank you' to him as sam turns around, he nods and mouths 'no problem' back to me.