sixteen.

sam:

10:56 pm.

i lean against the wooden shed of leo, with a lit cigarette in my hand and craig next to me. we've been silent for the past few minutes, just staring at the sky full of stars. craig is humming silently, his feet tapping the trimmed and well-kept grass beneath us as he looks up at the sky. i wish i could see the stars reflect in his milk brown eyes every single day, but now i just have to enjoy it while it last. 

damn, this is harder then i thought.

i scratch my chest as i run my hand through my unkempt hair without looking away from the kid sitting next to me with a cigarette in his mouth. 

i've been in like a summer fling before but this?

tough.

i grimace and i don't even know why, craig turns to look at me with his eyes locking with mine and i feel the tension rise. cliche isn't it? big, tough chain-smoker falls in love with the short, quiet kid. he furrows his dark eyebrows as i don't say anything.

i look away quickly, this can't be kept up.

"craig, i--"

"sam, i--"

we look at each other before laughing. i exhale as i scratch the back of my neck, awkwardly.

"a lot more people came then i thought," i try to start a conversation with him.

"yeah," he nods, "i thought it was gonna be like rox and jake, jay, leo, ruth, kylie, kyle, etc?"

"i think kyle sent more invites then he was supposed to."

he nods again, "i think aaron brought people with him."

"who? you mean the infinite amount of bitches he claims he has?" i use massive air-quotes which i hope will make craig laugh, and he does.

"thanks for inviting me, sam."

he looks back at me, "it wasn't a big deal or anything, plus you're fun to be around."

"no, i'm serious, i haven't gone to a party in years, this-- this really means a lot."

the tension grows worse and i think of something to do, i grab his phone that's laying next to me.

"let's see what craigster has on his phone."

"don't you dare--"

"what are you going to do?" i tease him as i pull away his phone as he reaches for it, "call the police?"

"sam--"

he laughs as i scoot away from him, he follows quickly as i jump up onto my feet. i run off with his phone in my hand and the wind in my hair. craig stops running and he pants.

"c' mon!"

"hi! my name's sam tucker and i look like i run three marathons in a week," he flips me off, "fuck you."

i laugh and craig takes the chance to run after me, i try to run away put he jumps onto me which makes me fall onto the soft grass. i feel his legs wrap around me as we fall together and all i can think is--

craig:

"fuck," i finally catch my breath, only to realise i'm sitting on top of sam. i feel my cheeks flame up, i clasp my hand in front of my mouth when i attempt to slide off, "i'm so fucking sorry, jesus christ."

i tumble off of him and he's just smiling as he hands me my phone, "you should try out of the football team," he pants, "you can tackle really well."

"i'm sorry," i say again, shaking my head.

"it's fine, craig," he rolls his eyes, "stop saying sorry if you don't have to."

"okay," i whisper, i lay onto my back to stop hyperventilating, sam lies on his back next to me, with his hands folded behind his head, "that was awkward, i should probably not do that again."

sam looks at me, from the crown of my head to my chin, "you should."

"you did not just says, mr i-just-got-my-soulmate."

"i did, craig."

he turns onto his side, with his arm still under his head, he lets his hand run past my cheek. i smile as i turn onto my side, i exhale quickly, praying that my breath doesn't stink. i manage to blush profusely as i gaze into the eyes of sam tucker.

but all he ever did was make me cry.

i look away as i realize this isn't a good idea, remember the last time you did something stupid with him? it ended with you hating him and crying, but now you need him more than ever. shoot your fucking shot, craig scott.

i place my hand cautiously on the side of his face, trying not to tremble and wanting to die on the spot. sam closes his eyes as he places his hand on my hand, and it makes the fireworks in my stomach explode. i try to take my hand away, but he presses my hand against his skin.

"don't ruin this for us," his voice is softer, "do it before i know who my soulmate is... please," he squeezes his eyes shut as i realize a tear dribbles down his cheek. i scoot closer, still in shock. taking my hand off his face and wrapping my arm around him. he places his head on my shoulder.

"i won't," i whisper, placing my cheek against the side of his head as his oddly soft hair rubs against my face, "i promise," i genuinely try not to move at all.

sam looks up at me with his green eyes sparkling in the sky. i hear someone approach us and we simultaneously rip apart and lie away from eachother so i just looks like we were looking at the sky.

"guys!" i shoot up to look at leo who's holding up his phone, "it's 11:46, you need to get for your soulmate reveal, sam and craig, jay's looking for you but i don't know why."

"cheers, leopold the third," sam sticks up his thumb as he jumps up, "see you guys later," i wave at him and he waves back for running off, and catching up with jake. leo helps me up and we walk to the kitchen together.

"looking at the stars?"

"and smoking cigarettes," i add, leo nods as he opens the door for me, "jay's in the side kitchen, i'll organize the party to get ready for sam, they're dying to know, because--"

"it's sam tucker."

"correct!"

i fist bump leo before walking to the side kitchen, jay's sitting on the counter with a red cup in his hand and alone. he pats next to him and i hop onto the counter and he passes me a cup with beer. i take a sip, "hola," i tilt my head, "what's up?"

"you know sam's revealing his soulmate in about 10 minutes," he looks at his watch, "are you emotionally and physically ready that there's a chance it may not be you?" 

"what do you mean?"

"what i'm saying is," he takes a moment to breathe deeply, "what if sam's shoulders don't have your name on it, are you ready to face that?" i nod.

"i can take it, jay," i chuckle, "it's not like my entire life will depend on it."

thanks for making me nervous jay.

"i'll be here for you, craig," he pats my back, "and so will be everyone else, even sam."

"i know," i sigh, "thank you jay for being a better mother then my own," i hug him tightly.

"no problem, son," he changes the subject, "did you see last night's game?"