three.

craig:

i jog down the stairs to the main building of the school as i swing my backpack over my shoulder. i head outside and i sit down on the table behind the school, school just ended but i'm not heading home not yet. i open my backpack and i take out the box of cigarettes, i flip one out and i light it with my fluorescent orange lighter before inhaling and exhaling the smoke.

"you were lucky your boyfriend defended you, faggot."

"back off, aaron," i bring the cigarette to my mouth before blowing the smoke in his face, "you're calling him my boyfriend but you keep on invading my space."

"you're not denying the fact you're a fag?" aaron tilts his head as i look at him.

"the only thing that's really a 'fag' here is my cigarette, bitch," aaron rolls his eyes as i speak, "you can always ask me for help if you need better insults," and with that i slide of the bench and i drop the cig butt on the floor.

"craig--"

"adios, fatass," i flip him off as i walk to the bus stop. almost bumping into ruth on the way, he just rolls his eyes as he walks with me to the bus, "what's up with aaron?" i look at ruth.

"i dunno, man," ruth shrugs as we slide into our usual spots, "did you hear that jay and leo are secretly planning a party for sam's 17th birthday? they want to make his 'soulmate's reveal' special."

"oh cool," i mumble, uninterested, "are you invited?"

"yeah, and you too."

"wait, WHAT," i look at ruth and he smiles, smugly, "for real?"

"for real," he smirks again, "but you know for what reason, correct?"

sam:

i walk with leo into the bus and i see ruth and craig talking to each other. "oh and by the way, about your whole 'soulmate' thing," leo snaps me away from staring, "we're organising a party."

"i guess it isn't so secret anymore," ruth remarks, "good job, leo."

"fuck off, redhead," leo chuckles as we slide next to him, "so as i was saying, maybe you'll find your soulmate there!" ruth and leo smile as they motion towards craig who's staring out of the window.

"no, fuck you," craig looks over at me as i flip them off, "i'm not doing this whole thing about me and craig, especially a party," leo and ruth look at each other and then at craig who has no idea what's going on.

"do something, craig," i hear ruth whisper as i look out of the window, sighing, "use your mystical craigory powers on mister tucker over there," ruth and leo slide more inwards so craig can sit next to me, not that he had a choice since he was practically pushed in place.

"h-hey."

i don't answer as i just lean on my hand.

"sam?"

"what?" i look at him "what is it now?"

"i-i just wanted to say that this whole p-party thing is a total s-surprise to me too-o."

"i noticed," i barely manage to hold my facade together as he sighs.

"oh."

"i'm sorry."

craig's head jerks up to look at me, his blond hair falls in front of his eyes, "i-it's alright, i g-guess," he shrugs, and then he remains quiet. I peel my eyes off him before turning back to the window.

"so..." 

"who do y-you want to be your s-s-soulmate?" craig exclaims suddenly before biting his tongue.

you.

"i don't really know, actually," i scratch my chin, "who would you want to have as your soulmate?" craig looks away from me and he looks at his fingers, he shrugs.

"how a-about this," he thinks, "y-you describe how you want y-your soulmate to b-be?"

"someone that can keep up with my sarcasm and solemness, y' know?" 

"uh-huh."

"someone that can... handle when my mood is bad, someone that can stay with me even though i'm annoying and rude sometimes."

"n-no!" craig exclaims, his voice cracking ever so slightly, "y-you're not annoying or rude."

"what about now?" i crack a smile as i stick up both of my middle fingers.

"n-nope," he smiles which just makes me smile even more.

"y'all! craig made the sam tucker smile without insulting him!"

craig:

i feel my face burn as i see sam looking at me, smiling. but i just look away because it's my stop, i wave goodbye to him and i sprint out. running home, knowing i'd get the biggest L handed to me.

"craig scott."

"mom."

"you're in big trouble."

"i noticed."