fourteen.

craig:

i walk down the road as i head home. the gravel under my feet relax the thoughts zooming though my head. i forgave sam again, for the second time. is he really that good of a person? should i really be giving him all my energy? then again, he seems to be doing the same. 

"shit," i cough, maybe this isn't such a good idea. the last thing i should do is fall for him, even though i already did, even more. this guy kissed me. he fucking kissed me and my little pea brain thinks a ha! he does care about us, feel for him more! fuck me, fuck my body, fuck sam, "what did i get myself into?" i slide my key into the slot of door and i open it, lynn waves at me as i smile, heading up.

my phone rings and i pick up.

"'sup craigory?"

"what a coincidence! i was thinking about you."

"same."

i sigh as i throw my bag into the corner of my room as it says silent.

"are you okay?"

"me?"

"yes, you sammy boy."

"yeah, i guess."

i remain quiet.

"what about you?"

"i'm fine, just not really a call person."

"that's okay, 'cause i'm outside your house."

"fuck you."

i hear tapping on my window and i turn around, sam is sitting on a thick branch of the tree that's next to my house. i roll my eyes as i hang up, he chuckles as i walk to the window, i slide the window upwards. 

"hey there," he smiles, i just stand there, not knowing what to do, "can i come in?" i shrug, stepping backwards so he can swing inside.

"welcome to mi casa," i sit down on my bed in my okay-sized room, "what brings you to my house at," i check my phone, "4 pm?" sam shrugs as he sits next to me.

"i was bored," he flicks my nose, "plus, i missed you craigory," i rub my nose as he smiles.

"you're never this happy, it scares me," i take a sip of the water that's on my bed side table, "no, really, why are you here?" sam scoffs.

"did you think i was kidding?" he locks eyes with me, "i just really wanted to sort some things out with you, craig," i nod, looking down at my shoes, trying to avoid his gaze. 

"so, what's wrong?" 

"i'm sorry for denying the fact that i am, in fact, also attracted to boys," he clears his throat, "i'm sorry for not pounding him into the floor, i'm sorry for not being able to be the sam tucker that you thought i was."

"i forgive you sam," i smile without looking up, "is there something else?"

"the kiss."

"the kiss?"

i rub my hands together, feeling my cheeks warm up slightly. i look up at sam, who's looking at my wall. his eyes turn towards me and that just makes me feel even more awkward. "did we get any homework except for english?"

"history, first two pages of the 13th chapter have questions," i continue looking at him, "due on wednesday, FYI," he sticks up his thumb, which has large scar running through it, i tilt my head as i have never seen it before.

"i've never seen that before," i point at his thumb, he looks at his thumb and he points at the scar.

"this?" i nod, "oh i got a couple years back at camp with my brother, i was carving a small sculpture and i just straight up sliced my thumb."

i grab his hand so i can look at it, "you're really dumb," i trace the scar, "i hardly have any scars," i say with semi-sarcasm.

"funny."

"can i ask you a really personal question?" i say after a moment of silence, "like really fucking personal?"

"only if i get to ask one too."

"deal," i shake his hand, "do you think about your brother a lot?" his smile disappears and a weak half-assed one replaces it, "you don't have to answer if you don't want to," i say quickly, so i don't make him feel bad.

"no it's fine, i'll answer, doofus," he responds softly, "i think about him a lot, it's been a year or so but i feel like he left an eternity ago. this is my first birthday without him and i just can't face having to celebrate his own birthday if he isn't here."

i squeeze my lips shut, regretting asking him this question. he looks away as he wipes his eyes. 

"do you want some water?" i squeak, he nods and i grab my water, still talking to him "when i cry, and i do it a lot, i calm myself down by hugging someone, preferably lynn," he takes a sip.

"then what am i waiting for?"

"stand up then, dick."

sam:

i hug craig and it just makes the urge to cry even more. i was acting like such a big guy when i'm just a big bitch baby underneath. when i actually am face-to-face with craig, i realise how short he is. "how tall are you, actually?"

"5'6"

"fuck, you're short."

"you?"

"like 6 foot or something."

i hear some muffled sounds downstairs, craig pulls away.

"i guess that's your signal to go," he folds his arms behind his back.

"i guess."

we stand in front of each other for a brief moment.

"come again."

"i will."

"see you tomorrow, dick-bag."

"adios, stupido."

i climb out of his window to the tree, he waves before the door opens. i slide down the tree and i zip up my coat before walking down the road. i open the door to my house and i'm greeted to my family sitting at the table.

"welcome back birthday boy!" my dad claps his hands, "i know we told you to save your presents for the party but we, collectively, wanted to give you one present."

"we especially wanted save it for your 17th birthday, sam," my mom smiles, "we've spent some time discussing if we should give it to you," i nod as i sit across from them at the table, my sister is holding a box and my dog sits between my legs.

"i know it's been a year," vivi hands me the wrapped box, "but i think jason would've wanted you to have it," i open the box quickly after my brother's name is said, i look inside and i pull out my brother's jacket. 

"thank you so much," i smile.

"we love you, sam, you may deny at times but we really do," my family hugs me.

today was good.

i can't wait for the party,

and my soulmate.