{Escaping Into The Night.}

Depuis le début

*

After two days of driving from South Dakota to Wisconsin we made it to a small town called Harmony. It was only five miles from Milwaukee. It was a town that I would never want to live in because of how old fashion it was. I hated small towns, I prefer the city but of course dad didn't. He drove up to a funky looking motel that we'll be staying at until he could find us a home.

Like always, we unpacked some things. Kavan and I would share a bed which I hated because he likes to hog the bed and I much better on the floor. I sat on the bed, not helping because I didn't want to be here. Dad came over with McDonald's in his hand and held it out to me. I looked away and he sighed heavily. I could smell the delicious bacon cheeseburger and fires in the bag, but I refuse to eat. It was always like this. I refused to eat and it would worry my parents. It was their punishment for making us move again.

"Thalia, I know it wasn't your choice." dad said, sounding sincere about it. "I missed up big time, I lost control. I killed a man though. Humans are not dumb, they'll figure out and point fingers at us. We're a different kind of family."

I snorted, "Way to sugar coat saying we're freaks. I was actually making friends—"

"We've all told you making friends was a mistake. Humans—they have no room in our world. I know you want to be a normal teenager and I wish I could give you that but I can't. It's difficult, this life." he said.

I rolled my eyes, "Who are you telling."

"Thalia, no matter what it's who you are. You are a Jaguar and you can't change that. I want you to be who you are and be proud of it. Being a Jaguar doesn't make you a freak, you're unique." he said.

My head quickly turned as I looked at him like he was joking, "Unique? Dad, there's nothing unique about turning into a Jaguar! There is nothing unique about changing town about three times a year! There is nothing unique about murdering people and eating them! We're killers even if you admit or not! I hate this life, I hate being afriad of turning sixteen! I—I—I hate my life!" I yelled before running out of the motel.

"Thalia!" mom yelled out worriedly but they didn't come after me. I ran away from the motel and I wasn't sure where I was running two. I just went where my legs were taking me and I found myself at a park with a lake. It was empty since it was winter time and no one wants to come out in this weather so I was happy. I went over towards the lake and sat on a small boulder. I brought my legs up to my chest and stared out into the frozen lake.

This was so unfair. My life—why did I have to put in this life? I didn't want to be a Jaguar, I was terrified of it. I'm scared to turn sixteen because when I do, it's also my first shift. I don't know what my dad was thinking moving quickly when my time was coming. When Kavan turned, he got lucky. He roamed the woods without any problems. No running into humans, he didn't kill anyone. We don't really have control when we're in that skin. All sense of control left and we were true Jaguars. All three of them hardly shift but the other night dad had gotten angry because him and mom were arguing about Kavan getting into a fight at work. I think that's why Kavan was so quiet the drive here

I was sitting there for awhile when I felt someone behind me. My back stiffen and I expected it to be Kavan when I turned around but it wasn't. It was some guy around my age standing a good ten feet away. He was staring at me with curiosity with a cigarette in his pale hand. He had pale skin and from the strands I could see sticking out from the beanie was brown hairs. He had pale green eyes that I could stare at all day because they were that beautiful.

"Hey," he said and when I stayed quiet he spoke again. "Who are you?" I quickly got up from the boulder and started to walk away, but he quickly got in my way. I pressed my mouth together and glared at him. I opened my mouth to tell him to go away and let me pass, but he spoke, "Whoa, relax. I'm Rian."