二十七。當我們睡覺時,我們去哪裡?

(where do we go when we fall asleep?)

SOMEONE WAS IN the bathroom. Livia had just left her stall. She was walking towards the sink. Then she turned her head. There she was. Sarah.

"We need to talk."

Livia didn't know where Sarah got the confidence as she regarded the red-haired girl leaning against the door. Finally, she coolly responded, "You're going to be knocked onto the ground, Hepburn."

"Like I give a shit."

Livia turned on the tap.

"I don't know what the fuck you're trying to do, playing with our hearts, but this ain't it. I'm not going to stand by and watch you rip us into pieces again."

"That happened long ago, Sarah, and it wasn't my fault."

"This is all your fault! If you had never come back," Sarah seethed, "None of this would have happened. We would have all moved on." The girl clenched her fists, her teeth bared. Sarah was wearing her school blouser- something no one ever wore, mind you. Ah, her battle suit, Livia realised with a start, taking a quick glance down at her own white blouse and plaid skirt, the uniform of Greenlow College. Then, before the other girl could notice, she raised her head, meeting Sarah's eyes.

"Calm down, now you just sound delusional." Livia turned off the tap, dispensing soap into her hand. "How is this my fault again?"

"Everyone was fine until you came back," Sarah continued. "You're a life-ruiner, aren't you? Won't even let us enjoy our last year before college."

"You'll have plenty of chances to enjoy once you're out of Briarville," Livia said, rolling her eyes. "Don't get your panties all up in a twist- you sound like a spoiled brat."

"I'm still better than you, you self-righteous bitch."

"Watch your tone and language. There's no knight in shining armour coming to your rescue now, and we both know you're no Merida."

"You're no Mulan either."

"That one Instagram filter says different, but okay," Livia chirped back, letting a smile twist on her face. "Anything else?"

Sarah let out a strangled laugh. "You think you're so smart, don't you? You think this is a huge joke. You think I'm a joke."

Livia's reply was simple. "Why yes, I do. Compared to you, anyone seems smart." It was a baseless jab. Sarah outperformed her in most academic subjects. Still, she'd be lying if she said she didn't feel good. Normally, Sarah matched her in insult, but the girl had let rage take over. That was never a good thing in arguments, except for the opposing side.

Sarah continued to laugh. "God, Livia, you are so delusional."

"Am I? I thought that was you!"

"If you think I'm just going to let you waltz in here and act like everything is okay after all you did, you're wrong."