三十五。男孩女孩

(boys and girls)

"NICE BOOKS."

James' eyes flicked up, studying Livia's figure next to his birch bookshelf. "Thanks. I got into reading a bit after you left."

Livia's mouth twitched when she saw a copy of World of Hate in a corner. "I didn't expect you to be a teen fiction type of person."

"I'm not. But that story hit hard. When is the sequel coming out?"

In a year, probably. Her first draft is done. She's a fast editor, and can probably finish that within the summer.

"You knew?"

"That you're Livvy Geller? Yeah. Doesn't take a genius to notice the similarity in writing style. Plot, too. It's your life. I'm River. Jack is Ryan. Melody's Maura. I put two and two together."

"Smart boy," Livia attempted to beam, but her smile faltered. "Did you like it?"

"I told you. It hit hard. One of my favourites."

"You had better like it," Livia hmphed. "I would have been very hurt otherwise."

"Oh please, you take criticism as good as a shield takes arrows."

"Not the best comparison, James."

James rolled his eyes. "Whatever, smart-ass. Leave me alone, I'm tired." He did not look tired, Livia mused.

"Are you now?" She snorted. "Come on, James, take a little criticism! I can, why can't you?"

"Because he's an idiot," Toire shot from the open doorway as she skipped into the bedroom. "Duh. Isn't that right, Jem?"

"Stop calling me Jem."

"Nah."

Livia frowned. "Have you been reading The Infernal Devices, Toire? Did you give him a nickname because of Jem from... you know?"

Toire beamed. "This is why you're my favourite person." But I shouldn't be. The words felt dry in her mouth, so she swallowed. No negativity tonight. This is about happiness. Joy. Living life to its best before it all falls apart again, because it will inevitably.

"That's great news," Livia snickered.

Toire pouted. "You're mocking me. Don't be mean, Livia."

"Yeah," James mimicked. "Don't be mean, Livia. You're so rude. And mean. And annoying. And bitchy."

"Hey! I didn't say any of that!" Victoire snapped, her arms crossed. Livia rolled her eyes. Kids will be kids. James, on the other hand...

"You immature fuck," Livia muttered. "Grow up, James." He didn't respond, pulling at his jacket with his mouth in a frown. Livia raised an eyebrow, tapping him on the shoulder. "I'm talking to you, McHill."

James slanted her the deadest look he could muster. "Yes, mother."

Livia looked amused as she turned back to Victoire. "You heard him, I'm your mom now too."

Victoire looked horrified at the thought of it. "Ew," she managed with a squeak. "I don't want you as my mom. You're like my better older sister."

"You don't have an older sister..." James frowned. "Victoire, did you hit your head while jumping on the bed?"

"This little shit jumps on the bed?"

"No I don't!" Victoire snapped. "He's lying, like always."

"For the last time, I didn't steal your candy!"

[old] hexes for exes, briarville girls (1)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें