二十三。死亡的翅膀

(wings of death)

  SOMETIMES, LIVIA FEELS LIKE she's going insane

It certainly is exhausting, listening to Pamela rant about subjects she had no interest in, but not wanting to show that she wasn't listening at all. So she sat there, scrolling through her phone, occasionally responding with a 'mhm' so that Pamela wouldn't get angry. So far, it was working.

"Nice," she mumbled when Pamela paused after a lengthy monologue. "That's awesome."

Pamela flashed a smile. "I know right?"

Livia's eyes flickered up from her phone. "Yeah, that really is."

Rinse and repeat, until the clock struck one in the afternoon, and Pamela got up from the couch. "I'm heading out."

Livia raised an eyebrow. "Where to? Didn't you just go to Anya's yesterday?"

Pamela rolled her eyes. "So? Besides, I'm not heading to hers today. We agreed to meet at Theo's."

"Theo? As in Theodore Collins?"

Pamela's eyes lit up. "Yeah! You know him- oh wait, yeah, you know Madi and like, everyone in this city."

"I hung out with him once back when I like, a kid. Nice guy. Wait, why are you hanging around his house?"

Pamela beamed with happiness. "He invited Anya and I. Y'know, the Bellington stuff. You do know he's King, right?"

Livia stared at her younger sister for a long time, before slowly drawling, "You have a crush on him, don't you?"

To Pamela's credit, she didn't blush or flush. She only looked a bit scandalised at such a suggestion, frowning, "What makes you think that?"

"Oh, I don't know, how you smiled when you told me he invited you over?"

Pamela rolled her eyes. "We're just friends- allies, technically speaking, but pretty much the same thing. Aaliyah got ears at school... I'm revealing too much, aren't I?"

"Just go," Livia shooed, pushing Pamela further away from the couch. "Go get your boy, my dear little sister. Go get the boy."

"I'm not romantically interested in him!"

Livia gave Pamela a blank stare. "I can see right through you, missy. Don't bother lying."

"Livia. Two people can be friends and of the opposite gender without liking each other! Look at you and the twins back then, for example! And they with everyone else!"

"That's different," Livia shrugged. "You, on the other hand..."

Pamela huffed. "Look, Anya is going too."

Livia waved her off. "Oh, just go, I got an article to finish."

Pamela beamed brightly, causing Livia to roll her eyes as her sister grabbed her purse and left the house. Glancing out of the window, Livia could see a car pull up. From the car, a mid-eastern girl poked her head out, motioning at Pamela to hurry up. Anya Bazdar.