十八。一團糟

(one big mess)

  "I KNOW YOU WERE IN THE BATHROOM

"I KNOW YOU WERE IN THE BATHROOM."

When Sarah Hepburn had marched into the library, her face stoney and unreadable, making a beeline for Livia's table, Livia's heart had stilled. Livia recognised this expression. She saw it on herself in the mirror when she herself is angry at others.

But instead of yelling, that was all Sarah said as she pulled out the chair across Livia's seat, her voice barely above a hushed whisper. Livia frowned, looking up from her study notes, feigning innocence: "Which bathroom?"

"You don't need to lie to me- I recognise your shoes."

Well, fuck. Still, Livia fixed the girl with a curious stare, her head slightly tilted, and the two girls stayed that way for a little bit. Silence was intimidating. Powerful, even. Neither girls squirmed or looked away, recognising this game.

"Is it illegal for me to go to the lavatory now?"

"I'm not a dictator, Wong."

"Never said you were," Livia quipped, turning back to her notes. "What do you want, Hepburn? Don't waste my time now- I gotta study. Unlike you, I'm not an academic genius who doesn't need to study to achieve good grades."

"You think I don't study?" Sarah glowered, her arms crossed, back straight. "I just want to talk."

"I'll assume your definition of 'talk' isn't normal chatting. You want something. What is it?"

"I told you. The bathroom."

"The bathroom isn't your territory," Livia frowned, looking up from her textbook. "I can go whenever I want to."

"I'm not saying you can't go into the bathroom. I want to discuss with you what you saw- heard in the bathroom, Livia."

"Oh," Livia said, as if it had finally struck her, "you meant you crying?"

Sarah flinched at her uncoated words, but nodded. "Yes. Me... crying. In the bathroom."

"There's nothing embarrassing or sad about that," Livia deadpanned, "Like, I'm a sucky person, but not that sucky."

"Hard to tell these days," Sarah retorted with a snort. "Anyways, uh, you didn't... tell anyone, did you?"

"Why would I?" Livia frowned. "It's not my problem. It's yours to deal with- and it's your story to tell. I'm not going to start spreading rumours and stories of you. I'm not Pamela."

"You are literally a replica of your sister," Sarah groaned. "Stop lying to yourself, you're being a total hypocrite."

"Says the girl getting mad at me for doing the exact things she does."

"I don't- you are impossible, Livia Wong."

"Hey, don't blame me!" Livia yelped, holding up her hands. "You're the one wanting to talk to me!"