"Where will you go?" he asked sardonically, like he was losing something.

"What do you mean?"

"Where will you go if I set you free? Will you go to Golden Haven or will you go back to your homeland?"

"Not Golden Haven for sure and my homeland? It was not very far from the village really," Kyle said carefully. He didn't want to venture into those horrible memories.

"You had a family here?"

"Are you reading my mind?"

"Only when you try hard to block me out. Come on tell me what happened, please. I open up to you so telling me something about your past is the least you can do. I want to know." The prince gave Kyle a pleading look. The servant groaned and looked away.

Silence.

When Kyle looked back at Prince Timothy, he was still looking at him with those big eyes, hungry for a story. 

"Look, it's not very nice okay."

"Okay," the prince leaned forward in anticipation making Kyle release an exasperated sigh. The small brat was impossible.

"We used to live in the outskirts of town. My family and a few others. Our small houses were surrounded by many trees so that helped us to keep ourselves safe. Safe from the monthly collection among other things. Vampires don't come looking for anyone who lived in the outskirts seeing that they had enough prey in the village. So we thought we were always going to be safe. If we could escape from the collection, then we were pretty much secured. That's what anyone would think right?

At least that's what I thought. Then it happened. The reality of the world we live in, hit me like punch in the guts. One night we were attacked by rogue vampires. They were turned bloodsuckers and some of these vampires are the kind in which their transitioning didn't go so well. They were more animalistic and wild with their hunger being nearly impossible to satisfy. Long story short, me and another boy my age were the only survivors. We kept each other alive, for a while.

Until I had to kill him."

Kyle looked away from Timothy for a moment. He paused to hide his emotions and to keep himself from breaking down in front of the kid. He then cleared his throat and sat up straight with his arms crossed. "See my friend Peter was bitten by one of them when we were fighting to escape. The one who bit him, did it for the purpose of turning my friend.

We were unaware that he was slowly transitioning into a half blood. Two days into our survival, Peter's eyes began to change color. His gums began to bleed as the fangs pushed themselves out. He was in so much pain and I did everything I could to help him. At least that's what I thought. I didn't want to lose my only friend but whatever I did, it simply wasn't enough. I was in denial. I thought that I could stop the transitioning. Deep down, we both knew what was going to happen soon but I simply refused to fully understand what was at stake for Peter.

That night as I sat under a tree thinking about our fate, Peter dragged himself to me. He was breathing hard and coughing uncontrollably. His skin was deadly pale with veins showing. Before I could reach out to hold him, he grabbed my arm and placed a big stone in my hand.

'Do it,' he said. 'Do it now, before its too late. If you let me change, I will kill you, my friend and I don't want to be a monster who would kill its own friend. End my suffering now, don't punish me by waiting for me to change into one of the damned. Pl..please.....please do it. You are still clean Kyle. Y..you can still survive and live out your days.'

'So can you! We'll figure this out!' I yelled at him, gripping the huge stone in my hand. He only shook his head and coughed up blood. 'I won't survive and even if I do, it wouldn't be me. I won't be Peter.' He again begged me to kill him and I did the unthinkable.