Chapter 6

Just wanna thank all of you readers for the amazing support so far.

And also to those who have voted and added my book to their Reading List's 😘

I wasn't expecting so many views you guys 😂😂. Feel free to comment your thoughts.
Let me know how you feel about this book and the characters. 💖💖💖💖💖

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
__________________________________

I was still in a trance even after she finished calling out all the names. I felt so numb, my mind and body refused to work. I didn't know if it was confusion, fear, denial or all put together. I only came to when Alex decided to literally shake me into reality.

He was saying something but I couldn't hear a single thing. The only thing I saw was his lips moving. I looked around and realized that the people were beginning to get up and the female were being separated from the male.

"Eve. Eve!" He shook my shoulders again "I'm not letting you out of my sight okay. I'll ask them to change your assigned job. They can't just give you to him. You won't last and I'm not taking any chances," he spoke. 

Only after a few moments did all his words sink into my mind.

"Are you out of your mind?! You know you can't do that. They might have your tongue just for asking!" I whisper yelled. What was he even thinking?! Didn't he just listen to all the rules?

"You will do none of what you just said. You will take care of your job and do it well while staying out of trouble. Remember what I said in the wagon. We have to survive for as long as we can. That can only happen if we don't get into any kind of trouble. You can't worry about me anymore. It's best for both of us." I took both his hands in mine "Promise me. Promise me you wouldn't worry yourself because of me. Yes I'm terrified but isn't everyone? Including you? We'll find a way to communicate but for now you must swear you won't risk anything for me or yourself." I looked at him in the eyes waiting for his reply which took ages for him to do so.

"Alright. Okay. I promise not to do anything reckless but don't ever tell me not to worry about you. And I will find a way to talk to you," he kissed my forehead and just as he was about to say something else he was roughly yanked back by a guard.

"Time's up human! Get into your group before I kill you myself!!" He bellowed.

With that me and Alex were separated. For how long?

I don't know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The women were taken to the servant quarters after we were shown around the palace. Our quarters were located one floor under the hall which we were in. We still didn't know where the men went.

They then brought us into a fairly spacious room for around 35 of us ladies. In that room there were three bathrooms and a giant cupboard. We were each given a mattress, one pillow and a thin old blanket. All of these were already arranged on the floor in rows of four.
These items which were given to us were probably used by the previous servants. The thought alone made me uncomfortable.

Soon there would be another woman who will replace me.

"Alright all of you can rest for today. I suggest you make full use of it because work starts tomorrow at six in the morning and ends around nine at night. Remember what I said about punctuality ladies. Tardiness will earn you 10 lashes with the whip. And that's only for the first time." Ms. Odelle warned.

"All your uniforms are in the cupboard. Shoes included. Take whichever fits you," she explained.

As soon as she left, we all chose our sleeping position while some decided to mingle around. I took mine that was at the far left. I didn't feel like talking to anybody. My mind drifted off to Alex.