Chapter 37

Conversations wrapped up when Mitch finally spoke up for the first time this even by asking me, "so Nova, why are you here?" All falls quiet as if he had just challenged me a fight to the death and by the gleam in his eye and the fear it sends jolting through me, it might as well have been.

"Well, I joined you, you guys, your cause." I reply, feeling all eyes fixed on me.

"Yes, we've all heard that you're one of us now." By the way he said us i'm not so sure he's convinced. "But why did you leave the schools? You had it good. Everything handed to you on a silver platter. Your whole perfect life set out before you. Why would anyone leave that?" His tone was accusatory and it left me rattled as I'm sure was his plan.

"I-I, um..." I hadn't really thought about it. I know the schools are wrong. I know that something has to change and that I'm just not going to wait around for someone else to change it. Not that I think that I could single handedly change it, but I knew that I wanted to help. With the horrors I saw in the confine, I knew it couldn't stay.

"What is your goal for being out here?" He presses.

"I guess, I want to find myself. I've spent my whole life being told what to do and who I am, no questions asked. I need to find out what makes me me. The only problem is... I don't know how."

Morgan chimes in. "A lot of people find their identity in their beliefs."

"So religion?" Decker asks.

"Yes, that's one way, but just getting to know yourself. How your brain works. What you like. How you process and asses situations. All of these are ways to get to know yourself."

"I have an idea. Why don't we asked deep questions? Maybe we can all get to know ourselves a little better and each other a little deeper." Kaden adds.

Savannah replies by saying, "I don't see why not."

Mitch shakes his head. "You guys can. I'll just sit this one out."

"Oh, come on. You're no fun."

"No, I'm not. Fun is pointless it gets in the way of getting things done. Therefore, I have no time for it."

"Well, I'm up for it. Who has the first question?" Kane asks.

They sit in a long silence before Colin asks, "What is the most powerful/influential part of humanity?"

"Part?" I ask.

Colin explains, "well, intantable thing?"

"Like a force?"

"I guess?"

"What's your's?"

"Love."

Mitch chimes in, "Well, that's touching."

"It's suppose to be. It's a force."

"Well, mine's hope." Savannah says, breaking the tension between Mitch and her brother.

"Mine is faith." I turn to see that Kane is the one who answered, leaning forward, resting his elbows on his thighs with his hands clasped. When he leans forward and that's when I see the cross hanging around his neck as it glistens in the light from the fire.

"Power," I am shocked when Mitch replies, in a quiet, nut not timid voice.

"I thought you said this was stupid?" Colin snaps. I have never seen anyone rattle him like Mitch does.