Chapter 26

We soon find ourselves traveling on the road again with full bellies in a warm car on a crisp mid spring morning.

With a content sigh, I leaned back in her chair, crossed her ankles on the dashboard and stretched out her arms so that her left arm brushes Colin's shoulder. She blushed as he apologizes.

"It's okay." Colin replies with a smile.

"Mind if I take a nap?" I ask Colin.

"Not at all." He replies, always cheerful.

I close my eyes. I have never felt this relaxed and it has been years since I have been able to let my guard down around someone. I don't know. Something about Colin just puts me at ease.

I fall asleep with ease. My dream is calming. I'm sitting on a beach next to Colin listening to the calm rise and fall of waves on the shore.

I have never seen such sarene. I turn my gaze to Colin and I can see that he is as relaxed as I am.

Colin's gaze is going past my head. Confused, I follow his gaze. All I see a girl with long, flowing hair as she turns a corner around a beach house. I hear the echo of her taunting laugh.

Savannah, I think as I rise to follow her.

"Wait." I hear Colin say, but by the time I turn to face him, he has disappeared.

I search around me, but the beach house is gone too. I keep turning until I am convinced that I am alone on a desolate beach.

I start to feel trapped, desperate as I fail to cope with being alone.

The last thing I hear is the gentle crash of the waves and a new round of Savannah's laughter, before I wake up.

I slowly sit up and rub my eyes as they adjust to the bright sun. Quickly, I realize that the car is no longer moving and I am alone.

I jump as I hear laughter piercing the silent air. This time the laughter is real and not a dream.