Chapter 35

When I wake up, I realize that the soreness from my injuries that seem to have taken place decades ago are finally feeling better. The sore and stiffness is finally starting to disappear. My shoulder would never have healed properly if Colin hadn't fixed it for me.

I sit up and turn to his bed to tell him when I realize that I am in my own room and Colin is down the hall. A wave of sadness hits me as I long to be in his company.

I open my scarlett blinds. The rain stopped in the night. The ground is wet, but the sun is already out and will soon dry the ground.

I dress in a loose-fitting red long sleeved shirt and dark denim skinny jeans and red slip on shoes. After I dress in a hurry, I head down to the basement.

I stop on the last step. In my hurry, I almost slammed into Colin, who is about to ascend the stairs.

"Sorry," I mumble.

I stopped myself by slamming my palms into either side of the door frame. Now I stand inches from him. His face at my chest level.

Removing my hands from the doorframe, I step aside, feeling the heat rise in my cheeks.

I ask Colin where he is headed as I finish descending the stairs.

"We're headed to patrol." Colin says gesturing to Decker and the twins.

To be honest I hadn't realized that they were there before he mentioned it. I had only seen him, consumed at how close proximity we were standing...

I want to talk more, but before I even have the chance to open my mouth to speak Colin is leading his troup up the staircase.

As I make my way to get some food, I stop as I hear Mitch's booming voice. "Listen up. The executive decision has been made that for the next week no one will leave the building without a reason that is cleared by Morgan or myself. This quarantine time is pending and may be extended. Anyone caught outside without weren't will be severely punished," he announces with Morgan at his side.

I freeze at the words "severely punished." What kind of society have I just joined? I wonder what they consider as severe, but I don't want to find out. So far I haven't seen any evidence of any of them being violent. I force my mind to calm.

After I eat breakfast, sitting alone, I decided to walk the halls and see what I can of the outside world. I tilt my head to the side as I watch the long window stretching the length of the hall.

Around the corner, I catch a figure in my peripheral vision. Glancing at the glass confirms it to be Morgan. I step away from the window and turn my gaze to her.

"Not thinking about sneaking out, are you?" She says to me.

I struggle to answer. I can't tell if she's being humorous or accusatory. Her expression gives me no clues as I squeak out a "no."

"Relax," she says, although my body won't allow me to comply. She's just one of those people, who can demand respect just by walking into a room. Something about her I just don't trust.

"A little birdy told me that you're officially one of us now."

I must look distressed because she adds, "Kaden likes to talk."

I smile, and feel my shoulders loosen up. "I've noticed."

Ater a beat I ask, "Is that all you wanted to say? Or is there another reason for your presence?"

"When you first arrived Colin debriefed me on what he knew about you..." she pauses and takes a hand from behind her back, again I hadn't noticed. I make a mental note to be begin to pay attention to the little details.

Instincly, I flinch as something appears in her hand. It's a...

"Journal," she says, finishing my thought. "Colin says you like to write. I know it's not much, but it's a tradition to give a new member a gift. Usually we have a ceremony, but everyone is currently preoccupied with... a situation."

I accept the gift. "Thank you." Perfect timing, I think, I've been in the mood to write.

"I hope you don't disappoint Miss Prime."

"What?" I ask.

"Prime, it is your surname." I give her a shocked looks so she continues. "I have access to many computers from the university, you see, I can hack into the district's attendance list. The amount of information I can access is limited, but it gives me the opportunity to learn a little more about each of my colleagues. I also used it to locate Colin's sister."

"Could you locate his brother?" I don't know where the question came from, but apparently I had no trouble absorbing this new information.

She shook her head. "Colin has sure shared a lot with you." I don't like the tone she used.

"Don't fret. That may not mean the worst. Anyone that the districts 'take in,' by force or otherwise, is put into their system. The fact that he isn't there may mean two things. He is either in one of their remot facilities, which is where we need to get into in order to take them down, or he is, well, deceased. They don't exactly loose students so I don't actually know what happens to their file after death."

The way the word death rolled off her tongue so easily makes me shudder.

"Now Miss Prime, let's focus on more light-hearted things. It's too easy to slump into self-pity while we wait these next few days out inside."

"What are we being kept inside."

Her expression wavers before saying, "if you excuse me, I have a meeting to attend."

With that she briskly walks off, leaving me, once again, alone in the hallway.

* * *

Over the course of the next week, Savannah seems to be glued to my hip. She has been spending so much time with me. It's as nice as it is annoying. I'd really rather be spending times with Colin, but he's been out on patrol every day.

One day Savannah didn't even knock before she entered my room. I guess she must feel comfortable around me. She caught be sketching in my journal on my bed. She nosily takes a peek at my drawing and begs me until I give in to teach her how. "I just put my pencil on the paper and let it flow from there," I explain. In response she just pouts and I just laugh.

My drawing is of the sunset with two silhouettes looking on from a cliff top. Savannah sketches a similar scene, with my help. I keep to myself the fact that the silhouettes are of me and Colin. I often find my thoughts drifting to him.

I don't even know what I'm hoping will happen between us. Especially now, he's just been so busy and consumed in the rebellion to even give me a second thought. He hardly gives me a passing glance as I pass him in the halls.

Savannah helps me pick out my outfit for tonight. It is the first time I am being let outside in a week and I have been going stir crazy. Night has fallen and I am excited for the bonfire. It brings back memories from the first time I met Colin.

I am wearing a white tank top under a low cut, button-up red plaid shirt with ruffles lining the neck. My dark denim skinny jeans compliment my black combat boots.

Savannah lets me pick out her outfit. I decide on a tank top that is white at the top and fades into a royal blue, jean shorts, and white high top converse.

"Ready?" Savannah asks as she heads out the dorm door.

"Yeah, in a minute. Why don't you head on out I'll meet you at the bonfire." I politely reply. There's something I need to do first, but it's something I have to do alone.

Hesitantly, she nods and complies. I watch as her slender fingers slipped from my door frame and she strides into the hall. Her hands are way more femanine than mine. Mine have never been dainty. It has been a bit of a hindrance when it comes to drawing. I have a hard time being gentle and often find myself pressing too hard and making marks too dark to erase.