Chapter 23

Before I can ask for more berries that have awoken my hunger, Colin starts to walks off and I instinctively follow. I catch back up to him and twine my fingers in his. I'm not sure if the gesture is too forward, but Colin doesn't protest. He doesn't turn towards me, but I see a smile form on his lips. His lips... I shake off my distraction and feel myself start to sweet from nerves.

I need to distract myself.

"What are we doing now?" I ask Colin.

"Setting a snare." He replies.

"A what?"

"I'll show you." He pulls twine out of his pocket and ties it to a branch of a sapling. Then he ties the other end and lays it on the ground. He begins to search for something.

I feel useless just standing there uselessly watching him work, but I don't know how to help. Soon, I find myself watching him more closely than I'm proud of. I never realized how tall, broad, and muscular he was until...

I quickly snap out of watching the way his muscle move with elegance as he strides toward me. He has a rock in his hand.

I watch as he precariously pulls on the twin until the branch is taught and places the rock where the twine meets the ground. He carefully places the loop that lays on the ground spread out and he places a handful of little white flowers with three leave in it.

He turns to me, his face alight with pride. "This is a snare trap. When an animal tries to eat the clovers, it will bump the rock, which is lightly holding down the twine. When the rock loses its grip on the twine, the loop will tighten around the animal and the branch will bounce back, lifting the creature into the air. Then we will have our catch."

I smile at the joy in his eyes from his cleverness. He enjoys an adventure. Every second of it.

"What?" He says, blushing at my smile.

I shake my head, but I can't keep a smile from my lips. "Nothing. You're just so smart. And, ah, do you always carry extra string with you?" I tease.

He chuckles, his cheeks get even redder. He stands and strides in my direction. "Hey, I'm just prepared."

This is it, I think even though I don't even know what I mean by "it." I look up into his dark blue eyes.

He stands so close to me. I can feel his hands brush against my waist.

I don't know what this feeling is inside me. I yearn to be held. I wish to be loved. Maybe this isn't so weird. Maybe it just seems odd to someone who grew up in the dark. Someone who grew up where you couldn't even hug a friend, not that I ever had a friend to hug.

As I peer into his eyes that had always seemed opened and unguarded, suddenly seem guarded, distant. It makes me feel suddenly naked for letting him see my vulnerable side.

Maybe, I think. Maybe it's because I make him feel...

Before I can finish the thought Colin says, "I'll start a fire that we can cook our catch over. I'll make it over here so we won't scare animals away from our trap"

I nod as he puts a hand gently on the small of my back to lead me to a small clearing. I feel myself tremble at the lightness to his touch.

I sit and I feel like royalty as I watch him grab fallen branches and chunks of logs. A hit of a smile touches my lips as I see his biceps flex at the strain.