Chapter 27

I unbuckle my seatbelt and exit the car. For the first time, I can feel the soreness in my right knee and my left ankle falters as I stand. I let out a groan of pain as I catch myself from falling.

I hear footsteps coming from around the corner of a tall building. I flinch as my anxiety builds and a tall figure comes around the corner and into view.

It's Colin. The feeling of relief wash over me as a smile of joy beams on my face. The smile quickly fades as I see whos hanging on his shoulder. She has brilliant blue eyes and curly dirty blond hair.

"Nova," Colin cherrily says drawing my attention back his way. "We arrived at dawn so I thought I'd let you sleep. I hope it didn't startle you, waking up alone." Colin blushed at the way he worded it. I'm sure my cheeks are red too.

"Not at all," I say in the most cheery voice I can muster.

More people walk around the corner.

I stepped back in alarm. Colin reached out a hand and steadied my shoulder. "It's okay, these are my friends." He reassured. "Come on. Let's go inside."

I walk near Colin as we entered a run-down casino. We went to a dark backroom with one of the few lights that still worked in the building.

First he introduced the girl who seemed to be connected to him at the hip. "This is my sister, Savannah."

My mouth went dry. Sister? No wonder he was so close to her. Now I really feel like a fool.

Next he introduced a tall women, who appeared to be around nineteen with a platinum blond pixie cut that complemented her dark eyes. "This is Morgan."

"Nice to finally meet the acquaintance of the girl who held up our founder." She says matter-of -factly. It's easy to tell that she is the leader by her tone and commanding presence.

Then he introduced Decker and Mitch who are the muscle of the group. And finally he introduces the twins. Kane is tech savvy and Kaden is smart with pyro and experiments with chemical weapons.

He didn't have to introduce me. Everyone already knew my name. After he introduced each of them I gave a polite nod in greeting.