Chapter 11

None of them were directly in front of the door so the didn't see me change directions. It takes them a few seconds to reach the door. The four of them stop just inside the doorway.

The rain is beating down hard and the whole ground is flooded in an inch of rain. It's hard for me to keep my eyes open.

I peer through the doors hinges. Between cracks of thunder I hear the men talking and then they take off in different directions. They have their guns raised.

I slow my breathing and run out the door. I turn back and my eyes meet the gaze of one of the guards. I stop, turn around and slam the door closed. I hear bullets hit the door.

I hear him yanking on the handle as I run away. Luckily, he was not the guard that opened the door or else he would have the key to open it.

Stride after stide I continue to run. I run through the thunder storm, through the pain. I was stupid enough to use my right arm to shut the door. With the surge of adrenaline I didn't feel the pain then, but I do now.

I know that I have to push through and get to the cottage, but I still won't be safe there. Colin said that he was on the run and that I could go with him. I guess I'm on the run too now, so I'll go with him. Now it hits me that I'm bringing danger right to him. Now he'll have to leave hastily.

It's too late to think about that now. I reach the cottage and I fling the door open and I don't stop running until I'm inside.

Colin approaches me. He looks me up and down. I'm soaked and I'm dripping everywhere. "Nova, what-"

I interject. "We have to go!" I have to talk between gasps for air. "They-they're coming. I'm sorry. We don't have much time."

He looks stunned. It's takes him a second to process what I've told him. He snaps into action. He grabs two bags already filled with supplies.

I knew that he was planning on leaving, but I didn't know how soon. "Come on." He says with the bags in his hands. He heads to the back of the cottage.

I froze. I looked at Scarlett and Denver, who watched us. I didn't what to say to them. Colin called me again and I followed.