Chapter 2

My thoughts are interrupted by shattering glass. As I hear an ear piercing noise i turn to the window in time to see the glass come falling down. I instinctively cover my eyes, but I'm so close that I get cuts all over my hands, arms and face. The cuts sting with a certain intensity that I've never felt before.

An announcement voice comes overhead to give us instructions, but I am to spellbound to listen. I trace my eyes in the direction that the object that shattered the glass came from. I see an identical broken window from the eleventh floor on a building less than a hundred feet away.

A strange looking being stands in the window frame. Their hair is black and short. Two men that I recognize to be level eleven guards try to grab the person who shouts back, no!" That's when I realize that the teen is a boy. I've never actually seen a boy before. He shakes off the guards and steps to the edge of the window frame.

"I want to be free!" He shouts with him arms spread as if he will fly away. Then he jumps with his arms still spread, but instead of flying he falls and now lies motionless on the pavement.

My jaw drops at the tragedy that I have just witnessed. I want to scream, but instead I cover my mouth with both hands. Without hesitation I turn to leave the room with the rest of the students.

We are told to remain in the study hall for the rest of the hour. I sit there dazed, unable to speak or even lift my gaze. Cora approaches with Whitney not far behind. "Look what the cat dragged in. Oh, wait, a dead cat couldn't drag anything in."

"That's not even cleaver." I snap not even wanting to burn her like I usually do to her not-so-witty banter. No one else saw him fall. They all had already left the classroom. "Look Cora, I don't want to talk to you right now. That boy fell from the window and Didn't exactly land on his feet."

"That's probably because he took one look at you and he killed himself because he couldn't stand the sight of you."

Somehow Cora always knew how to push Nova's buttons. It is true that Nova doesn't look like the rest of them. Something about her eyes.

Cora should have known better. Nova was shaken from watching the boy fall, but now her blood is boiling. She glares at Cora. "Don't joke about that."

"What? The boy killing himself at the sight of you, or how revolting you look." Whitney laughs at that.

I don't know what came over me. I've never felt like this ever in my life. Something snapped. I stood up and took a swing at Cora. I all happened so fast that I didn't comprehend what happened until after the fact. All I recall is the terrified look on her face before my hand meets it. The next moment she's on the ground. Her face bloody.

An alarm sounds over the coms and two guards are quickly on scene. I shout, scream and kick, but they linked onto my arms. My feet barely touch the ground as they man handle me to the elevator. I know where they're taking me and I don't want to go.

I want the floor number rise and rise. It hits eleven and dings to a stop. The doors open and they bring me down the hall into the third containment unit on the left. They push me thru the door so I fall to the ground. I quickly turn and grab onto on off the guards uniforms. I'm on my knees begging him to not leave me here.

He shoves me off causing me to catch myself on the ground with my palms facing the floor. They shut the door and it automatically locks. I make sure that they is out of view before I let a smile slip out. I slip my left hand into my pocket so that the cameras can't see me put the swipe key in it that I stole off the guard.
After dark I plan an escape. Not just from my cell, also from the school. One night that's all I should need. Right? I just need answers. I also need questions. Not that I don't already have several, I just need the right ones. To what exactly, I'm not sure yet, but the answers are out there and I have a burning desire-no, need. I have a burning need to know and understand what's going on.