Chapter 4

I take one step away from the wall. Then I take another and another. I feel my muscles physically relax as I sigh with relief. I'm in no imminent danger. What was I so afraid of? Why did the unknown seem so scary?

As I walk I can hear gravel under my shoes. Soon that sounds changes. Whatever is under my feet now in softer and it gently gives under my feel. I walk up a slope.

When I reach the top of it curiosity takes hold of me and I stop to bend to the ground. I run my hand over the curious substance. I feel long damp strands that bounce back into place after my hand brushes over it. It is too dark for me to see the color, but I conclude that it is dewy grass from what I have learned in my science class.

Impulsive I lay horizontally at the top of the hill and let gravity take me down. I let out a giddy giggle of enjoyment. I found myself in a laughing fit at the bottom of the hill.

Now that I am at the base of the hill I can't see the confine, but there is still a chance that they could hear me. I didn't care. At this exact moment I hadn't a care in the world. I let my laugh carry, not caring who heard it, if anyone.

My clothes weren't quite socked, but they were no longer dry and I'm sure that I now had grass stains on my clothes. Oh well.

I got up and waked some more. I was careful to only head one direction so that I could just turn around and easily head back the way I came to find the confine.

The smell of smoke filled my lungs. After I got over the sensation of wanting to cough uncontrollably, I found the smell to be relaxing.

Now I could see the smoke and I traced it back to its source. Fire. A log fire was burning with large stones surrounding it. A cottage lay upon a nearby hill and I could see a dark figure sitting near the fire.

I walked up to them. "Hello," I said in the most innocent and sweet voice I could muster. My tone of voice was very out of character for me. I despise being fake, but being unconditionally nice can have its perks.

Now that I am closer and the person is facing me I can see his face. He has dark skin and short black hair. I've never seen a person look like this before. Although frankly I've only ever seen brown hair and eyed girls and occasionally brown haired guards. Today seems to be full of surprises, with the black haired blue-eyed boy that jumped and now someone with brown skin. I find it very appealing to my eyes.

He has just stared at me since I spoke. I guess i should initiate the conversation since he seems shy. "My name is Nova." Wait. Should I have just told him my real name? Too late now.

"Um... "says the boy.

"That's Denver, and my name is Colin." Came a voice from the direction of the cabin. He has brown eyes and light brown hair. He has a longer complexion than I do, but I find him very attractive.

I start to introduce myself again. "Hi, I'm-"

"Nova. I heard you the first time." He took a long look at me. His gaze looked a little puzzled, but I'm not very good at reading people so I can't quite tell what about. I expect him to ask me a question, but instead he says, "You look cold. Why don't you come inside for some warmer clothes?"

"Okay," I reply. His generosity is unexpected, but I think it's genuine.

He leads me into the cottage. As we enter, I am filled with a warm feeling. It's warm from the fireplace and smells like baked goods. The small building is lit entirely by the fireplace.

He walks into one of the bed rooms, but I stop in the main room and hold my gaze on a strange looking lady. Her hair looks silvery, shimmering in the light of the fire. "Hello my dear," she says in a croaky voice. She looks at me through thick-lensed glasses.

"Hello ma'am." I reply respectfully.

"You don't have to stare, darling."

"I'm sorry." I hadn't realized that I was starring.

"I know, I look old especially to you since you've only seen girls your own age."

"Mostly." I say nodding.

"And old is that? Fifteen? Sixteen?"

"Seventeen." I know I look a little young for my age.

Colin returns and hands me a sweatshirt. "It's one of grandmothers."He says and gestures to the pale elderly lady.

That must be her name, I think to myself until Colin continues with, "she's not my real grandmother though. She just told us to call her that."

"Oh," I reply hesitating to ask, "what's a grandmother?"

"It's one of your parents' mothers." The women chimed in.

"Than what's your real name?" I ask even though I know I really shouldn't pry and if she didn't tell the boys she probably doesn't want to tell me.

"My name was left in another life, another time before... "

"Before what?" I say energetically. Finally, answers.

"Before the United Districts came to be and their evil schools."

"I'm in a U.D. school."

"Come on," Colin says escorting me to out of the living room to the kitchen toward the door leading to the campfire. I'd rather stay in here to talk to the lady, but she looks weary and I don't want to overstay my welcome. "Are you hungry?" He asks me politely.

Now that I think about it, I am. I missed dinner because I was on the eleventh floor. "Yeah, maybe a little." I shyly say. Why am I being so shy? This is odd for me. It's natural for me to be quiet. Quiet, as in not saying anything, but not shy when I do speak.