Chapter 30

The next day I wake will gentle sunbeams tickling my face. I opened my eyes to realize that I had slept facing the window and I quickly shut them as my eyes hurt from the sun. I quickly sat up, rubbing my eyes and letting the sheet fall onto my lap.

I lower my hands from my eyes and start to rub my arms. The room is chilly on my bear arms.

I hurry off to the bathroom with my change of day clothes. I take off my tank top and shorts and I slip on skinny jeans and a white t-shirt with a black leather sleeveless vest.

When I leave the bathroom I notice that Colin is still sleeping. I intend not to disturb him as I leave the dormroom to ask a favor of Savannah.

Before I shut the door Colin stirs. I freeze with my hands poised to close the door. He turns on his side but remains asleep. I exhale a breath that I was unaware that I was holding as I close the door.

I scamper down the hall to Savannah's room. With a soft knock on the door, she answers it without delay. She gives me a polite smile and welcomes me in.

"What's up? Do the clothes not fit? They look to me like they fit fine. How was your night? Sleep well in your own bed?"

I have to jump in quick before she talks the day away. "Good morning, Savannah." I say as politely as I can muster given the fact that she keeps attacking the fact that I am close with her brother.

"I came to ask for a favor."

"Shoot." She says a little more relaxed.

Clearly she has been up for hours, I asses by how sharp her eyes and mind is.

"Do you have anything red?"

"Red?" She asks.

"Yeah, it's kinda my favorite color and this white shirt isn't quite keeping me as warm as I'd like."

"Let me see what I can do." She says as she strolls over to her wardrobe and throws open its doors.

She finds a long-sleeve scarlet shirt that looks sharp under the leather vest that she insisted I keep. I thank her and walk back to my room.

When I get back, Colin is not in the room and is bed is left unmade. I decide to go find him and preferably grab something to eat along the way.

I find myself wandering downstairs where I come upon a heated argument. Everyone is down there, even Savannah. It looked like I'm the only one who didn't get the memo. Mitch and Morgan have launched into an argument and everyone else silently watches. Not for the drama but because the argument emerged from a group meeting.

I catch half of what Mitch says, "... danger to us all. There is a bounty on her head. The citizens won't hesitate to call her- or any one of us in."

Morgan counters. "They hate the system, Mitch. Calling them for money wouldn't be worth them poking their noses around."

"Are you so sure about that!"

"Not everyone is driven by money!"

"But they're poor! They're hungry for more than just food! They'd sell us out in a heartbeat!"

"And how would you know that?"

"Because I grew up that way!"

"And your saying you'd call her in?"

"To feed my family? Yes, without hesitation!"

"Sorry to interrupt." I squeak and that's when they realize for the first time that I'm there.

"Well, if it isn't Colin's little lost puppy." Mitch snaps with devious eyes.

"How long have you been standing there." Colin asks with concern in his eyes.

I can't bring myself to say anything, but by Colin's reaction to the look on my face, apparently I don't have to.

He walks over to me and gives me a hug as I feel tears swell in my eyes.

"Come on, let's take a walk." He says before leading me back upstairs.

Colin has his hand spread across my back as I climb the staircase. Then we walk out of the university and begin to head toward town. Colin drops his hand to his side.

"Sorry, about Mitch. He can be rough around the edges, to put it lightly." Colin says as he rakes his fingers through his spiked hair.

"What's his problem, anyway? Why does he hate me?" I ask, feeling hurt.

"Don't take his bad attitude personally. It's not you. His widowed mother tested him and his sister into the schools. Mitch tried to stop them from being captured but they got his sister. So he ran and he blames himself for failing his sister."

I didn't know what to say. I know he shouldn't blame himself, that he couldn't possibly be to blame. But what do I know about being responsible for another life? I have only ever had to look out for myself and in the schools that's not saying much. Even now, Colin has been taking care of me...

I stop in my tracks and hug my arms around my chest.

After taking another step or so, Colin stops too and turns toward me with concern.

"Nova, what's wrong?"

I sigh, embarrassed. "Ever since I left Confine 17, you have been taking care of me. I don't want to be your burden."

Colin approaches me and for some reason, I tense and want to take a step back, but I don't let myself.

He brushes my cheek with his firm, but gentle hand. My arms relax and fall to my sides as I feel the urge to lean into his touch.

"You'd never be a burden to me, Nova. I care a lot about you, and I just want you to be safe. I enjoy your company."

I feel like he has something more to say, but that feeling washes away when he pulls me into his arms. At first, I feel unsure of his touch. Then I return his embrace. I've never been hugged before and it feels nice. It is reassuring and the silence that ensues says more than words.

Suddenly Savannah's voice rings out. Instinctively, Colin and I jump apart. I see him watch for his sister who never appears. I feel embarrassed.

I quickly think of something to say. "Hey Colin."

"Yeah?" He replies.

"I'm hungry, is there somewhere we can get some food?"

A half smile creeps along his face. "Actually, I know just the place."