Chapter 10

I feel the pressure of the glass give. I hear the cracking of the glass and then feel stinging all over as the glass cuts me.

I am quickly in free fall. Every second feels like an eternity. My eyes are open and I watch the ground quickly approaching. As I fall I feel odd. I feel powerless and yet invincible.

The rain pelts my back. I am quickly soaked. The dark storm clouds will give me plenty of cover. It's almost a dark as night. I look forward and see a promising object. Bushes. That's what I see directly below. The whole school is bordered with three foot tall shrubbery.

My knees hit the ground first. I feel sharp-shooting pain travel up my right knee. I feel my left ankle buckle as the rest of me comes crashing down.

I instantly try to protect my brain by shooting my arms out in front of me. I fell slightly tilted on my right side, which caused my right hand to slip and my right elbow to take the full force of fall. My shoulder is jammed in an unnatural position.

I let out a yelp of pain. It could have been worse, but they bush gave me some protection, and added scratches and bruises to my collection from the glass.

In an instant I access my injuries. My knee and ankle is sore, but I think I have a fracture near my elbow and I might have dislocated my shoulder, but I can stand so I run.

I don't have my key card, because I left it in a pocket in a different change of clothes. I run to the wall. I lean against it and it holds me up as I shake of the dizziness from my fall.

I hear more alarms, shouts and charging feet of guards.

I watch a group of guards leave the compound to search more me outside. I take that opportunity to sneak out behind them.

I try to be quiet as I run behind them, but the puddles from the rain are to deep. They hear me splash in a big puddle just outside the door.

"Hey!" One guards yells as he shines his light on me.

My instinct would be to run, but I need to think about this. I can't hide. There is one tree and one cottage for miles. They'd find me with ease and they have guns. I can see the shine of the metal in the light of their flashlights.

In a split second decision I sprint back into the compound. I whip around the door and hide behind it.