Chapter 19

We are silent for the first hour on the road. Good. I don't want to talk. I get it. I screwed up. I gave us away and now we're being hunted.

I can't believe that I was stupid enough to reveal my tattoo. It is my tie with my past. A past that I want to leave behind, but it keeps following me. I can't believe that such a simple thing as rolling up my sleeves can jeopardize everything.

I decide to stop wallowing in self pity and break the tension in the air by saying, "How'd you do that... with the car?"

"I was in a medical district, but I really wanted to become a mechanic. I took a few courses and have become quite handy. I always keep a pocket knife and tools with me so it was easy to unlock the car and hot wire it."

He glances at me periodically while he speaks. "The first thing I did when I escaped my compound was find a car, hot wire it, and drive north. I didn't care about much after that."

And that was it. That was all Colin said. I expected more. I wanted to hear more. I had so many question for him. Why did he come back? How did he escape? Why are we going north? What or who is up there? I had an endless supply of questions, but I don't want to pry. I haven't known him for long and he seems to be opening up to me when he wants to.

I lift my feet on the dashboard and cross my ankles. When Colin glances at my legs and smiles, I know he doesn't mind me stretching out. I stretch me arms out to either side and I end up bumping his shoulder. "Sorry," I mumble.

"That's okay." He glances at me again. "You should get some rest. We have a long ride ahead of us."

Rest? That word seems so foreign. I haven't had a safe moment to close my eyes since I escaped the compound. I recline my seat without uttering a word and I fall in a deep sleep.