39: Turning Back

It might not be easy, but if it's that important to struggle through then it might as well be worth it.

"We have to turn back," I choke out, barely breathing.

I forgot it. The only thing left of what my mother gave me and I was irresponsible enough to forget it while we're being hunted down by a man who probably wants to murder us. Wow. Way to go, Lexi. Gold star for me.

"Are you insane? There's no way we can go back now. We've been driving all day."

"Austin, I forgot my necklace. The one that Mom gave me. We have to go back, please!" I beg.

"We can't. I'm sorry. I know how much it means to you, but I think your life is more important. We'll just stay at hotel close by for the night and tomorrow morning we can head out again, further into Nevada. By the time we reach there the cops will have arrested him again and we-"

"Austin! You don't understand!" I yell. Claire was sitting next to me quietly in the corner of the booth. A tear tumbled down her cheek, and she turned away from me. Everyone in the diner was staring at me due to my outburst. I stood up, banging the table on the way out. I ran outside. I felt a hand on my wrist.

"Stop," Austin orders.

"I'm going back. I'll catch a cab."

"No, you won't. I'm not letting you get killed. We've practically made it to the clearing, and you're planning to drive back now? I don't think so. The cops are guarding the apartment so when he shows up looking for us they can get him. Okay? He isn't going to get inside. He won't take anything. It will still be there when you get back."

There’s a moment of silence. We stand there in the dark facing each other, our breath being visible in the cold air. I looked at him, unsure. I heard a whimper come from behind me.

"Lexi?" calls a scared voice. I turned around and saw Claire crying, looking at me with a terrified expression. I relaxed and glanced at Austin before yanking my hand away and running over to her. I hugged her and stroked her hair as she cried into my shoulder.

"Shhh, it's okay."

"I'm sc-scared."

"I know baby. Everything is going to be alright. I'm sorry you have to go through this."

"I wanna go home," she cries, sobbing as a tear slips down my own cheek. She couldn't see though, with her head buried into my shoulder.

"I know, baby, I know. I wanna go home too." I see Austin look at me. I shut my eyes and wipe away my tears. "We're going to go home," I say, pulling back and looking at my little sister's eyes.

They weren't bright and happy like they usually are. They weren't full of wonder and curiosity. They didn't even have that bright blue sparkle to them. They looked dark and grey, full of sadness. They made her look broken, and it crushed me.

"We will go home, but not for a while. Okay?" I say, forcing a smile. Smiling through the pain. That's a skill I've mastered well, but right now it seems almost impossible to smile, even if it is fake.

She nods and I take her hand, leading her to the car. I take a deep breath, pulling myself together. I glance at the bracelet from Niall, hanging off my wrist.  A hint of a real smile tugged at my lips.

I smile just for you.

~*~*~*~

I pretended to sleep. Austin was in the bed next to mine in our hotel room. He was out like a light. Then again, he had to drive for hours today. He was probably exhausted. I couldn't sleep if I tried. How could I when the possibility of getting killed is floating around my head?