31: First Date Gone Wrong

Sometimes you just need one person who cares.

"I love this song," Derek comments, turning up the radio with a smile on his face. I listen for a moment before registering the song as my own. A smile spreads across my face and I chuckle. My single. The song I wrote about Niall.

Damn it Derek is supposed to make me forget Niall. 

We pulled up to the movie theater, and Derek waited at the front of the car until I got out. We came to see a simple movie. Nothing too fancy. It was a scary movie though, The Possession, and I hate scary movies. When Derek brought up the idea to me I quickly denied it, but he somehow convinced me to go.

We buy our tickets, grab some popcorn and candy, and head to the theater to find some seats. 

"I can't believe you made me come to this movie..." I say, shaking my head as the previews play. We got seats somewhere in the center. There wasn't a lot of people there, but it wasn't empty either. I guess the paps haven't found out about our location yet. 

He chuckles. "It's not gonna be that scary. I'll protect you," he says, giving me a cheesy smile. I laugh and roll my eyes, flicking a piece of popcorn at his nose. "That wasn't very nice," he pouts. I smile. 

"Well that's too bad, now isn't it?" 

"Yeah, it is. You should apologize. What if that piece of popcorn hit my eye, and I went blind?" 

"But...you're not blind. Right?" 

"No." 

"Then I guess I don't have to apologize," I say winking and shoving a handful of popcorn in my mouth. He smiles and rolls his eyes, turning his attention to the screen as the movie began. Within the first ten minutes I was scared out of my mind. The popcorn sat in front of me uneaten. I was too focused and freaked out by the movie to eat it. I was also shaking. A lot. 

"Hey, you okay?" Derek whispers to me, his lips brushing my ear. It sent chills up my spine. 

"Y-yeah....I-I'm fine..." 

"Mmkay," he says, looking back at the screen and munching happily on his Sour Patch Kids. I give him a look that he couldn't see in the dark.

If Niall was here and I was afraid, then he would comfort me. He would put his arm around me and cuddle me closer telling me everything would be okay. He would make me laugh to take my mind off the scary things, and just put me in a brighter mood overall. Heck, if Niall was here instead of Derek then I wouldn't even be seeing this stupid scary movie. 

Wait… Why am I thinking of Niall? Derek is supposed to be my distraction.

I continue to watch the movie, shutting my eyes and turning away at some parts that I couldn't handle. I wouldn't stop shaking though. Derek didn't even flinch. 

At some point I felt something on my shoulder and looked over to see it was Derek's hand. He had his arm around me. I turned to look at him and saw him smirking at me. It looked sort of sexy, but also a little creepy at the same time. He was also very very close to my face. I smirk back at him. 

"Hi there." 

"Hey," he says. Next thing I know he's leaning in. His lips crash against mine. Wait, what? No....

I pull away and give him a weird look. "Whatcha doin?" I ask. 

"Ya know, you're really hot," he informs me, leaning in again. I back away this time. 

"A little fast there Der. We're still kinda friends," I say, scooting a little bit away. It was hard being trapped in the seat though with arm rests on either side of me. 

"Do we have to be?" he whines. I bite my lip. Was he drunk or something? What the hell? 

"Derek, really, let's just take things a little bit slower." 

"Is this because of that Niall guy?" he says rolling his eyes. "You don't still like him, do you? Seriously, you can do way better." I stare at him in disbelief. "I mean really Lex, he's not even a good singer. And that's supposed to be his job. I've seen some pics and he's kind of ugly. Braces and all. I don't know what you saw in him." He chuckles at his own 'joke'. I wanted to punch him so bad I had to sit on my hands to resist. "I guess it was just for the career, eh?" 

"What?" I ask, unable to believe he just asked that. 

"Well there's clearly no other reason to want a guy like him. I mean, come on Lex, you really thought everyone believed that sob story?" I just stare at him, willing him to stop talking before I slapped the living shit out of him. "'Oh my parents and my boyfriend all got shot!' Really, it's not that believable. I just wish I was as smart as you. Come up with a fake background to get sympathy, fuck someone famous, get your talent known. And boom now you're out there with an album and everything. It's genius," he says smiling at me. 

I tried to control my anger, but his words just overwhelmed me. My palm connected with the side of his face, making a loud and audible smack. I ran out of the theater and onto the sidewalk taking deep breaths.

I can't believe he just said the things he did. A sob story? He really thinks everything between me and Niall is fake? That I did all this for the opportunity to get rich? That's bullshit! Complete and total bullshit! I wonder if everyone else thinks the same things he thinks. Tears started to stream down my face, and I viciously wiped them away. 

I realized he drove me here, and I didn't have a ride home. I pulled out my cell and dialed Austin's number. It rang and rang until I got his voicemail. I groaned and tried again. No answer. Ugh. He was probably asleep. I scroll through my contacts and call Rebecca. No answer. I try Kristy. No answer. Where the hell is everyone?! 

After about twenty minutes of not knowing what to do I walked across the street to the park and sat down on an empty bench. It was also winter with several inches of snow on the ground. If someone didn't pick me up soon, I would probably freeze to death.

I pulled out my phone one last time and stumble across Niall's name. I bite my lip as my thumb hovers over the call button. I thought of our encounter the other day at the recording studio. He's mad at me. We aren't friends anymore. Does this count as an emergency? He's probably sleeping anyways....Ah heck with it. If he's sleeping then he won't answer, and I'll just leave a message letting him know why I called. 

I press down and listen to the ringing. One ring. Two rings. Three rings. 

"Hello?" says a sleepy sounding Niall. I immediately regretted calling. 

"Oh my God! I'm sorry Niall. Did I just wake you up?!" 

He hesitates a moment before answering. He was probably still in sleep-mode. "Um, yeah, no. I'm uh....I'm awake now." 

I try not to giggle. "I figured." 

"Lex…not to sound rude....but why are you calling?" I take a deep breath. 

"It's a long story. But right now I'm at a park alone with no way to get home, and no one is answering my calls. Except you." 

He sighs. "What park?" 

I look around for signs and finally spot one. "Green Tree Park. By the movie theater." 

"I'll be there in like ten minutes...." Then he hung up.

 A hint of a smile played at the corners of my lips. It was nice to know that even though Niall wasn't happy with me, he still cared enough to help me out when I really needed him. I would do the same for him. 

After ten minutes of waiting in the cold, his car pulled up on the road in front of me. He rolled down his window. 

"Get in." 

AUTHORS NOTE
sorry its so short :( next one will be longer, i promise<3  but this one is for all you awesomepossum poptarts that were all like "I dont like derek" XD so yeah. neither do i ;) what do you think will happen next??????????????? comment? vote? fan if u arent already?? thanks a ton! :) also im in the process of writing another story so i apologize if i dont update as much but ill try to as much as possible :D love you guys<3 byee