37: Sweet Home California

Missing someone is your heart’s way of reminding you that you love them.

I stood there at the airport. Claire was off crying while the boys tried to cheer her up. I had my arms around Niall's waist with my head burrowed into his neck as I soaked his shirt.

"Don't cry," he says to me softly. "We're going to see each other again. We...we can Skype or something," he says, trying to convince me. It sounded more like he was trying to convince himself. "You're safer with Austin in California. At least you're out of London, and he won't know where to find you."

I shake my head and laugh humorlessly. "Anyone who wants to could find me if they did a little research! I'm just as safe here as I would be over there, if not safer. I can't stand not being with you, and I don't want to go through this again."

"You won't have to. If things get too tough I'll fly out there with you."

"No. You have your career and the boys..." I trail off and stare at the floor. He tilts up my chin so I would look him in the eyes. Those bright, crystal clear, blue eyes. I would miss them. I would miss them more than anyone could imagine.

"I love you," he says.

"I love you too," I say in a voice just above a whisper as he wipes away my tears with his thumb.

"Please don't cry," he begs even though he looked on the verge of tears as well. "I hate it when you cry." I couldn't stop though. I just prayed Claire wouldn't turn around and see me. "Please don't cry," he says again, his voice cracking as a tear tumbles down his cheek.

I can't believe this. Just when things go back to normal, back to being amazing like they were before. Of course something has to ruin it. Austin and his over protective big brother instinct. I know he's only caring for me and Claire, but I can't leave Niall. I wrap my arms around his waist in another hug, still sobbing.

"Now boarding flight 316," says a voice over the intercom. It only made me cry harder.

"I wanna give you something," he says. "Before you go." He takes a small step back and rummages around in his pocket until he pulls out a box. He opens it and reveals a bracelet. It was a simple bracelet. Nothing too complicated. A single charm hung off of it. It was silver and had a heart with a ribbon in the center. My hand instinctively went to my chest where my necklace from my mother sat. It matched.

"Oh my god....w-where did you get this?" I ask him, amazed that he found the exact same design as my necklace.

"A little shop in London," he says, clipping it around my wrist.

"I love it Niall," I say.

"Did you read it?" he asks. I turned over the charm, not realizing it had words. On the back was a small little engraved message running around the shape of the heart.