Chapter 37

You walked across the camp, in search of Abigail. You found her, near the main camp fire.

She smiled as you approached.

"I take it that the mint tea is working?" she concluded.

You smiled back, "I still feel a little queasy, but less likely to throw my whole guts up in the lake."

Abigail chuckled, "that's good to know, and what about Dutch? How is he?"

You frowned, "surprisingly calm, and happy about becoming a father I think."

"But?" Abigail queried.

Your face flushed, "He wants to...you know, but I think he's worried about the baby!" you explained.

Abigail laughed, a deep belly laugh. You'd never seen her laugh like that before. To be honest you hadn't really spoken to her that much, before yesterday.

"It won't hurt the baby," she chuckled, "its just if you feel like it, more than anything." she added.

You nodded, and smirked a little, "What about you and John?"

Abigail rolled her eyes, "John was...well he was just being lunk headed John. Seems like Dutch ain't gonna be like John was. John wouldn't have thought about rushing off to get me mint tea before I got out of bed!" she exclaimed.

You smiled, and looked over towards the table, where Dutch was making his plans.

"I thought he might cut and run, or ask me to leave. He was a bit shocked, but then so was I. He's gonna be a pain in the arse though. He was protective of me before!"

Abigail sighed, "I wish John was more like Dutch, about his fatherhood responsibilities."

You patted Abigail on the shoulder, "I'm sure he will be one day, Dutch is just a little older and wiser I suppose. Although he does say he wants a little girl," you chuckled.

Abigail scoffed, "that's one better than John, he didn't want to be a father at all, I still sometimes wonder if he does."

You looked across, to see Jack playing with a stick in the dirt.

"Ya know Abigail, if you need any help with Jack, then I'm probably gonna have some time on my hands. I can't see Dutch letting me go out robbin' even after the morning sickness is gone."

Abigail, threw the dregs of her coffee on the fire. "Ya know, I just might take you up on that," she concluded, as she walked over to Jack.

Having had one bit of good news, you headed over to Pearson's wagon. He was standing, chopping up some meat, most likely for the next days stew.

"How's our expectant mother?" he asked, smiling.

You smiled back, "Not too bad. I was just wondering if you could tell me how to prepare that fish, that you did for me last night?"

"Ya know, I don't mind cooking that for you, or a bit of chicken or fowl. It doesn't take that much effort." he conceded.

You smiled, "I know, but you have to cook for the rest of camp. If its that easy, then I could do it myself. Plus I never really know when I'm going to fancy eating, at the moment."

Pearson, pulled out what looked like some sort of bird meat, from under the counter.

"Come with me, I'll show you," he said as he walked towards one of the far camp fires.

When you reached the campfire, there was a small grill at the edge of the fire.

Pearson laid the meat on it, and every so often would turn it.