Epilogue

Susan Grimshaw, open the bedroom door. You could see through the gap, Dutch pacing up and down.

"You can come in now, Dutch," Susan whispered.

He walked into the bedroom quietly, almost timidly. Not his usual bluster.

You smiled, "come and meet your son."

Dutch beamed, his pace a little more confident, as he walked over to the bed.

The little boy, with a shock of dark hair, punching the air with his tiny fists.

"A son, you gave me a son. He's so perfect," Dutch whispered.

Dutch looked at you, "I'm so proud of you baby girl,"

He cupped your cheek, and kissed you gently on the forehead.

"Do you want to hold him?" you asked.

Dutch looked at his son, then looked at you, "can I?"

you grinned, "he's your son, of course you can."

Dutch picked up his son, cradling him on his forearm, holding his head in the palm of his hand. He looked so small, in his fathers grasp.

Dutch gently rocked him, "Have you thought about a name?" he asked, glance at you for a second, before gazing back at the child on his arm.

You blinked back a few tears, "I thought...Maybe Hamish?" you suggested.

Dutch looked at you, and smiled, "Yes, that would be perfect."

You smiled, "I wish he could have seen him, seen what we did with the place," you whispered.

Dutch gently placed his son in the crib which was next to the bed. Charles had made it for him, about a month before he was born.

Dutch came and sat on the edge of the bed, and wrapped his arm around you.

"I'm sure Hamish's spirit is with us baby girl, and I'm sure he's proud of what we've achieved here. I know I am."

You smiled, "I think we've done him proud, not just you and me, but everyone," you rested your head on Dutch's chest.

It hadn't been long after you'd all settled here, that you had found out that Hamish had died. A hunting accident, they said. If he'd had to chose a way to die, that's the way he would have wanted to leave this world. Just the same, it didn't make the loss any easier.

Nine months ago there had been nothing here, but grass and trees and a few rocks. Now it was completely different. A decent sized ranch. The house which you were currently in, with six bedrooms, a big kitchen, a family room and even a bathroom. Three more cabins outside. A large barn, a coral for the horses, and an area to grow your own crops. Everyone had mucked in to get the house built, then the barn, then the other cabins. Now you had a perfect home. To raise horses, crops and children.

Hamish would be the first, but Karen and Sean were also expecting, and you were pretty sure that Tilly and Arthur wouldn't be far behind.

Dutch stroked a stray hair behind your ear.

"Now I think you should rest, don't you. Then tomorrow, we can introduce Hamish to everyone."

You smiled and nodded. You were struggling to stay awake anyway.

"Will you sit with me, until I fall asleep?" You asked.

Dutch chuckled, "you know I will, I always have. Even when you didn't know it."

"You want to know a little secret, Dutch Van Der Linde, I always knew it was you." you smirked.

Dutch grinned, "Did you now!"

You closed your eyes, and drifted off to sleep, knowing that he would always be there, when you went to sleep, and when you opened your eyes.