1:11

It had been a few days since the race, and I haven't seen River since. I wanted to thank him for what he did for me, he comforted me when I needed it and kept me safe like he promised.

I went back to work right away and Brenda knew something was off with me but she didn't push me. Every once in a while I would get really dizzy and need to sit down. Jenna and Brenda always helped me out when I needed it.

Jenna has been hovering over me since Reed told her what happened. Not that it was any of her business.

I love Jenna to death, she's my best friend. But there are things she doesn't need to know.

"Emery you're free to go, Jenna is going to take care of the rest of your shift." Brenda says placing a small hand on my shoulder.

I nod as I take off my apron. I grab a chocolate chip muffin from the shelf and start making a double espresso.

Once the espresso is done I put a lid on it and exit the coffee shop after saying my goodbyes to Brenda and Jenna.

The walk to River's work wasn't very far but the cold breeze made it hard for me to breath due to my ribs being cracked. The salty ocean air invaded my nostrils as I walked along the beach.

The sign for the shop came in to view a few minutes later. I pull open the door and listen to the bell ding letting everyone know that someone was there.

"Hey sweetheart" Carter says as he turns the corner.

He had oil smudged on his face and his black hair was pulled back by a bandana around his head.

"Is River here?"

A smirk makes its way onto his face.

"Sorry he's out at the moment, called in sick today actually. But you can hang out with me if you want. I won't bite..... unless you ask me too" he tells me with a wink.

My stomach flopped at his statement.

"Uh sorry but I have plans. Can you tell me where River lives?"

Carter scratches the stubble that had grew along his chin as he sneered at me.

"Can't help you there sweetheart"

I roll my eyes as he stared at me.

"Do you know someone that does?" I ask with irritation lacing my voice.

Carter chuckles at me and folds his arms across his chest.

"Tell you what. I'll tell you where you can find River in exchange for something."

"And what would that be?"

"A kiss" he says with a smirk

"Ew no. Just forget it Carter" I snap

"You're loss sweetheart. I'm a damn good kisser"

"I have a boyfriend." I deadpan.

Now it was his turn to roll his eyes.

"Yes I am aware of Mr Mayor Jr." He says with venom in his voice.

How did he know who I was dating?

"How did yo-"

He cuts me off with a laugh.

"This is a very small town sweetheart. Everybody knows who you are and who your father is."

Anger bubbles through me.

"John is not my father!" I nearly shout causing some of the other workers to glance in our direction.