1:10

I wait until Alex walks away to enter my house. I knew I had to come home eventually, but I was terrified.

The door slowly clicks shut behind me. All the lights were off and the house was silent. Maybe John had forgotten?

I hesitate before making my way further into the house. Once I get to the living room I see my mom passed out on the couch.

"Mom?" I whisper

I start over to her but am ripped back by my arm.

"She won't be able to stop me this time" a voice growls in my ear.

John throws me on the ground and leans over me.

"What did you do to her?" I ask in a shaky voice.

He would never hurt my mom.

"Nothing, I just gave her some sleeping pills so she won't interrupt your punishment this time" he replies with a sneer

I don't have time to react before he takes a fistful of my hair and yanks me off the ground, slamming my back against the wall.

"Where were you?" He growls only inches from my face.

My body was shaking in fear and I couldn't bring myself to speak.

He brings his hand up and wraps it around my throat before squeezing. My eyes widen as I try to relax my breathing.

"Answer me!" He screams

I open my mouth but no words come out as I gasp for air. I claw at his hand wrapped around my throat and try to kick him, but he is so much stronger than me.

He slams me back again and my head bounces off the wall. My vision becomes blurry and my lungs are screaming for air.

"P-please" I whisper

"Please what?" John barks tightening his grip

"S-Stop"

He lets go and throws me on the floor again as he kicks my ribs and stomach.

I gasp for air and tears spring to my eyes but I hold them back.

"You're pathetic Emery. You're a weak and scared little girl" he snarls at me as I clutch my stomach.

"I h-hate you" I mumble

A fire burns behind his dark eyes and his face morphs into a deep scowl.

"What did you say to me?"

I will myself to stand up as I continue to clutch my ribs and stomach. I wince as I take a deep breath and stare John dead in his evil brown eyes.

"I said I hate you" I state in a clear, loud voice.

Before I can respond his fist connects with the side of my face and I fall to the the ground. The side of my head smacks into the hard flooring and everything goes black.

**

I slowly blink away the fuzzy vision and try to sit up.

I clutch my head and groan as I lay back down on my pillow.

How did I get back to my room?

My head was pounding and my body ached.

My door opening and shutting made me open my eyes again.

Reed walks in my room with a tray full of stuff.

"Reed?" I croak

My throat was killing me. Why did my throat hurt?