Chapter 26

Trent's POV

I sat beside Cassie's parents at the graduation ceremony. Of course I wasn't graduating since I was undercover. Plus, I graduated 3 years ago.

After very long and boring speeches by the Principal and teachers, it was finally the time for the actual graduation. First up were the students who graduated with first class honors.
The first one called up was... you guessed it... Cassandra Jones. A whole bunch of people stood up to cheer her on. They included her parents, Jayden's parents, myself and other people I didn't recognize.

Cassie proudly walked up and was handed her diploma. She was also going to receive a full scholarship at Princeton. My girlfriend is so smart.

Second name called was... you guessed it again... Jayden Johnson. The same bunch of people stood and cheered loudly for him as well. He also got a scholarship at Princeton. Ugh!

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for him and all, but I was hoping to finally have a life with Cassie alone. But he's not a bad guy, so I think I'll survive.

Some more names were called out and finally it was over. Cassie was surrounded by her family and I opted to give some space.

Many pictures were taken and I still hadn't had time to congratulate her.

"Don't you want to take a picture with your girlfriend?" I looked up and found Scott standing there holding his diploma.

"There's a long line." I answered as he sat beside me. "Where's your family?" I asked him.

"My dad's probably passed out drunk somewhere. I told him last night but I doubt he remembers." I didn't expect such a sad answer.

"I'm sorry man. What about your mom?"

"She died a long time ago. She would definitely be here." He smiled sadly.

"Oh God. I'm so sorry. I didn't know."

"It's okay. I'm just glad to be going away to college."

"You know what, I'm sure your mom's looking down on you and she's so proud." He finally smiled happily.

"Thanks. You know, you're very lucky." He said looking forward.

I followed his line of sight and saw Cassie smiling for all the pictures.

"I know." I said proudly.

"I wish you all the best. And I know, we didn't get along that well but, please take care of her for me. I regret not showing her how I felt sooner." He patted my back.

"Trust me, I'll do my best to keep her happy." I smiled back.

"I hope I'm not too late." We looked up at the same time.

"Dad? What are you doing here?" Scott had tears in his eyes as his father stood there.

"It's my son's graduation. I can't miss it." Scott quickly stood up and hugged his dad longingly.

"Dad, thank you." They walked away to reveal Cassie watching me.

"Hey babygirl." I greeted as I approached her.

"Hey." She blushed as I held her hand.

"Can we sneak away for a while?" I whispered and she gave me a disapproving look.

"First we take pictures. Then we leave." I nodded as she pulled me for the photos.

Hundreds of photos later, we were in my car driving to the surprise I had for her. We didn't sneak away, we asked for permission and it was only granted when we promised to be back before evening for the party.