CHAPTER 6

Cassie's POV

The bell rang soon after and we all went our different ways. I had PE with Scott while JJ had art class. He was a really good and creative painter. His pieces had made it to the National High School Art Gallery which was an honor.

I went to the girls' locker room and Cindy was already there with her minions. When I walked in, they all stopped what they were doing and stared at me.

"If it isn't brainy. I hope you're not thinking that just because Scott sat with you at lunch that you're friends now. He can never be friends with someone like you, okay? I know you, like any other girl in this school, has a crush on him, but keep in mind he's mine. And I will do anything to keep it that way. Are we clear?" Cindy shrieked with her face inches from mine. I never talked back at anyone but I always felt the need to.

"Whatever," I muttered under my breath as I made my way to an empty stall. Before I could make it there, Cindy grabbed my back pack which was still on my back and pulled it back making me fall on my butt. She and her minions laughed as I searched for my glasses that fell due to the impact. Then I heard glass breaking, the bitch had stepped on my glasses breaking them.

"Oops, I didn't see them there." she said and they left for the field in their unnecessarily skimpy cheerleading gear.

I was so angry because my grandma had given me those glasses. They were old but I didn't care because I loved my grandma so much. She had given them to me on her death bed. Of course my parents could afford to buy any type of glasses that I wanted, but those were important to me and they knew that.

I picked up my broken glasses and sobbed a little bit. Cindy had never done something so cruel to me, if you don't count pouring pudding on my hair and cutting up my shirt while I was at the field. I had to do something in return. The inner beast in me was crying out for freedom. When I was younger I was a trouble maker seeking attention from my never-there parents.

But as I grew up I understood that work was what kept a roof over my head, a very luxurious roof in that case. The only way that would happen is if everyone found out I was rich because I could be somewhat of a brat if I wanted to. It's like I had switches in me. A brat switch, a nerd switch, a dumb switch, an attention seeking switch. I decided that I wanted Scott in my house so that he could tell his circle about me and they would all put their heads down in shame.

Bow peasants!

Okay that was a little too harsh. I guess someone just turned on my brat switch.

Anyway, I always packed some contact lenses in my bag courtesy of my mother who knew that the glasses were older than me and would wear out anytime.

Thanks mommy.

I put my lenses on and changed into baggy shorts and a baggy t-shirt, they both belonged to JJ. How they were in my possession, I have no idea.

Realizing I was late for P.E, I ran all the way there and found that everyone was already running around the field.

"Jones, you're late. Give me 10 right now." Coach John said. That meant I had to give him 10 push-ups. I think sometimes he forgets that we're not his Lacrosse boys but I got down to it. I was terrible at push-ups and when he saw how bad I was he just told me to run with the rest.

"Okay so we're going to play Lacrosse," everyone groaned, even the lacrosse guys. Coach gave us a look and we went dead silent. He then got a call that was from the principal's office.

"Do some warm-up I'll be right back. Miller, you're in charge." He ran to the building and everyone sat on the warm grass as the cheerleaders in their skimpy uniform started doing a routine that was only meant for boys so I looked away. I didn't have any friends apart from JJ so I was bored.

"Hey Bella."

"Twice in one day? If I didn't know any better, I would say you're stalking me." I smiled shyly.

"Maybe I am," he answered as he sat next to me on the grass. "Are those contacts you're wearing?"

"Yeah, your girlfriend 'accidentally' crashed mine." I looked at him, and I think I saw a look of guilt or maybe I was delusional. Scott didn't have emotions, he was like a robot.

"I'm sorry about that. But you look better without them." He said as he lay on the grass. I lay beside him and closed my eyes.

"So, why did you call me Bella?" I asked not opening my eyes.

A figure blocked the sun that was previously in my eyes so I opened one eye to see him propped up on his elbow looking down on me. I felt my cheeks turn red and I closed my eye.

"I just feel like it." he said and lay back down.

The coach came back and Scott got up holding out a hand to me. I held his and he pulled me up a little too roughly and I held on to his massive chest to support myself. I looked up at him and he was actually giving a genuine smile. Our faces were so close and I could feel my heart rate pick up.

"Miller and Jones, do you need some alone time?" Coach asked and we let go of each other fast. Everyone laughed expect for Cindy and her minions who glared instead. Cindy walked up to us and stood between Scott and I and she put an arm around his waist.

"As I was saying, it's almost time to leave so you can leave early." We cheered as we made our way to the locker rooms.

I changed quickly not wanting to face Cindy and I left. I waited at JJ's locker since the bell hadn't rang yet. When it did, Scott came up to me.

"Ready?" He asked.

"Let me just wait for JJ. Oh there you are. We're leaving already but I'll call you." I said and hugged him.

"CJ, wh-where are your glasses?" his voice was laced with concern since he knew the story behind them. I could feel myself choking up with tears but I managed to smile shakily and left.

"What was that?" Scott asked when we were walking out of school.

"Nothing?"

"It didn't look like nothing. You two are very dramatic. I'm not justifying what Cindy did but they were just glasses."

"Just drop it," I said as we went out to the parking lot.

"Okay, sorry. Are we taking the bus?"

"No, someone's picking us up." We sat at the bench outside of school as I looked at my phone to see a text from Mom.

Hey baby, I couldn't make it but Sean will pick you up in five.

Okay, bring me back chicken wings.

Sure will. I love you.

Love you too.

"Five minutes." I told Scott not really looking at him.

He nodded and went back to his phone.

"So, you and JJ?" I looked at him.

"What about us?"

"Are you like dating?" I let out a mocking laugh. I had heard this before in school.

"No we're not. JJ is like a brother to me."

"Wow, poor JJ. That's not even a friendzone, it's the brotherzone. I prefer the friendzone, although no one would dream of denying me." He smirked making me roll my eyes.

"Don't you have a girlfriend?"

"Two words, status quo." He finished and I was so confused. So he was with Cindy to only keep up with the status quo of the popular crowd? Before I could ask, a car pulled over in front of us and a smiling Sean looked down at me.

"Sorry I was late, had to take your mom into town."

"It's okay, I wasn't waiting for too long. This is Scott the one I'm tutoring."

"Yes, your mom mentioned him to me."

I looked at Scott and he was eyeing the car like a kid would Christmas presents. It wasn't my car but my mom's car. It was a Bentley Bentayga.

"You should close your mouth lest you catch a fly." He closed his mouth and pouted at me realizing I used his words against him. He looked so cute but I would never say that out loud.