CHAPTER 12

Trent's POV

I took this job since it was the only one not in New York. Plus it was good money and in a quiet town. I had to get my mom and brother out of there, I had to put on my big boy pants and be the man of the house since dad didn't want to be the man of our house.

First rule of the job is always to not get too emotionally attached because that would complicate the job. But I honestly couldn't help it. In my 4 years of working in this field, this was by far the hardest one.

Cassandra Jones was my job. She was my mission. She was why I was here. She doesn't know this of course and I would want to keep it that way.

When I got the job, I thought it would be like the other jobs that I've become accustomed to. Little did I know what emotions were in store for me.

Cassie was the most beautiful little thing I had ever gotten as a job. Not only was she physically attractive, she had a heart of gold. Her parents were stinking rich but she acted just normally, like she didn't even know who her parents were. It caught me by surprise because I assumed that a girl of her social class would be the talk of the town and school. I thought she would be the Cindy of the school. But she was completely opposite, she was the nerd, the shy one, the one who could never stand up for herself, the bullied one.

But that would change because my job was to keep her safe. But I think that will be so hard without being emotional. I've already started feeling goosebumps when around her or like when we shook hands. But I don't want to push her away because that way I can't keep her safe.

"Trent to earth." She snapped her little fingers in front of my face.

"Where did you go to? Get off, we're here." I took off my helmet and got off the bike.

"Where is here?" I had completely forgotten.

"You knucklehead, this is the book store I told you about. Where JJ and I hang out most of the time."

"Yeah, right, the one that has amazing donuts?"

"Yeah, the one and only."

I followed behind her as she walked towards the store. When she opened the door, a little bell overhead rung drawing attention from a lady behind the cash register. She smiled at Cassie then looked me up and down playing with a strand of her blonde hair. I internally grimaced. Not to blow my own trumpet, but I always got this type of attention. It used to give me some type of thrill, but I was young then. Now, I hate it when girls practically throw themselves at me.

"Hi, Cass, who is your handsome friend?" the lady asked chewing her gum unnecessarily loudly.

"This is my friend from school, Trent." Cassie smiled back at her.

"Hi there Trent, my name is Sissy and if you need anything at all don't hesitate to ask me." I nodded my head and followed Cassie.

She walked towards the other end of the store where there were two couches facing each other and a coffee table in between them. She took a seat and I took one next to her. I wasn't paying attention while sitting since I was checking out the place.

"Ouch, that's the second time today." I had sat on her hand. I quickly shot up and took her hand in mine rubbing it.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to." I stared in her eyes and she stared back up.

I could not ignore the fact that her eyes drew me in towards her, and the electric waves running through my body from where our hands touched.

"Ahem, what can I get you?" Damn you, Sandra or was it Samantha? She ruined a perfect moment.