CHAPTER 16

Cassie's POV

I locked my hands with Linda on my left and Jj on my right as we descended the stairs. When we neared the bottom, everyone stopped dancing or whatever they were doing and stared at me. It seemed like even the DJ had stopped playing music.

I stood rooted to the ground, nervous to the core. But Scott came to my rescue. He stood in front of me and faced the crowd.

"Let's get this party started!" He shouted and everyone shouted as well and the party went on.

"Hey Jj, I think Linda wants to dance." I said and winked at him.

He looked surprised for a moment before smiling and nodding. Then I watched both of them disappear into the sea of party goers.

"Thanks for the save. I was about to melt to the ground." I said to Scott who was now facing me. He was a few steps below me so we were almost the same height.

"You look absolutely amazing. Let's get a drink, shall we?" He stretched his right hand and I took it.

To my surprise, the goosebumps I usually felt when we touched were non-existent. He pulled me towards the kitchen where there was a big bowl of punch and he served us into the red plastic cups. The punch was all fruity except for a taste I couldn't put my finger on but I drunk it anyway.

"So, how do you like the party?" Scott asked.

"I've got to say, you have a future in event planning." I said and we laughed.

"Only if all the events are high school parties." We drunk a little more punch until the DJ put on some rock music. It was My Chemical Romance - the black parade.

"I love this song." It seemed everyone at the party loved the song since they were singing along.

When I was, a young boy, my father took me into the city, to see a matching band!

I was happy that everyone was having fun.

"You want to dance?" Scott asked.

"I don't think you can dance to rock, unless you count jumping around." He took my hand and led me to the dance floor when the song was getting to the good part. (If you know the song, you know the part I'm talking of)

We all shouted the lyrics off key and jumped up and down. It was fun to see even Scott laughing and jumping. I hadn't seen him laugh heartily since his mom died.

When the song ended I went to get some more punch then walked to the backyard for some air. Scott went off to play bear pong. I walked outside and saw Trent sitting at the edge of the pool with a red cup like mine. There was no one else outside and he looked like he was deep in thought and I didn't want to bother him. When I turned to leave he called out.

"Hey, Cj. Please sit with me." Didn't need to tell me twice.

I walked towards him and sat beside him.

"Why are you not having fun?" I asked him.

"I'm not really a party person."

"I thought so too but I kinda enjoy it."

"Well, I think you have just been hiding your true, social self behind your nerdy self." He said.

"Did you just call me a nerd?" I asked with a straight face.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-" I cut him off by laughing.

"I'm kidding. I know I'm a nerd. My mom even calls me her little nerd. It's when people like Cindy call me nerd or brainy that I hate it."

"What happened between you two? I mean there has to be something that made her pick on you?" He asked sincerely.

"Are you saying it's my fault that she picks on me?" I asked.

"Well, yes and no." I was utterly speechless. How could he?

"Before you drown me, let me explain. It's a no because she has no right to pick on you and it is rude and disrespectful. But on the other hand, you let her walk all over you. You are stronger and smarter than her. When I say strong I mean, you have endured all the bullying and you still smile and see the good in people. I mean, it could be stupid." He joked.

"Hey, I'm not stupid." I pushed him jokingly but I guess he was a little unstable and he fell in the pool. "Oh my God, are you okay Trent. I'm sorry." I stood up but he reached for my leg and made me fall in the pool.

"Pool party! Cannonball!" It was Jorge the prankster that shouted and jumped into the pool fully clothed. More and more people jumped in and now there was a pool party too.

"Cassie, I could never imagine you had such a castle. If only Cindy was here she would not even ever look at you wrong again."

"Thanks Jorge, I guess." Trent came out of the pool and took off his shirt.

I openly ogled his six pack and biceps. Well, me and like twenty other girls and like ten other guys envying him.
He didn't seem to notice as he ruffled his hair and wrung his shirt. He turned around to hang it by the beach chair and I swear I heard a few people gulp. His back was also very muscular and he had a tattoo of a falcon on his back. He was so hot.

"Like what you see?" He had turned around and found us gawking.

We all looked away as he reached for my hand and pulled me out of the pool with one lift. But being so clumsy, I landed so strongly that I knocked us down onto the beach chair and now I was laying on top of him looking him dead in the eyes.

Be still my beating heart.

I tried to calm down but I also felt his heart beat rate pick up. I finally found strength and got up off him. He lay there for a bit and then smiled at me.

"Come on I'll give you a towel. Hey Jorge, there are some towels in the pool house bathroom. Think you could grab them for you guys?" I asked him since I kinda only knew him. And although a prankster, he was a nice guy.

"Sure thing."