He sucked in a sharp breath and replied in a barely audible voice.

"Firdaus."

He didn't want to reply but it sort of came as a reflex. Her name came to his tongue unconsciously.

"Right, Firdaus. Long distance isn't everyone's cup of tea I'm guessing."

"Parisa I need –"

"Waise woh nahi aayi shaadi mein? Aren't you guys in touch anymore? I'd love to meet her again."

Her sarcasm wasn't going down well with him. The two couldn't see eye to eye. In highschool, Firdaus and Parisa would often be called to the vice principal's office for fighting and creating a ruckus. Their personalities clashed a lot, and it wouldn't take anybody much time to figure that out.

"No, we aren't in touch anymore."

He rubbed the sole of his palm and tried to shake away the feeling. Regaining his posture, he pointed towards the stage.

"If I were you I'd be on the stage dancing with my fiance. He seems to have become a little too comfortable dancing with others over there."

Parisa looked at the direction of the stage and pursed her lips into a sarcastic smile.

"I always liked your sense of humor."

Aman chuckled. "I liked it too. Now if you'd excuse me, I think I'll take a leave now, I need to head back home. Jet lag." Aman explained with a half smile.

"Sure."

She watched him silently as he got up and walked away.

"Usman, yaar I'm sorry but I need to go a little early. You guys enjoy though!"

"Yeh kya baat hui Aman, tu ne toh dinner bhi nahi kiya."

"I know, and I promise I'll make it up to you at the rest of the functions. But aaj ke liye mujhe jaane de. I'm just worn out and super jet lagged."

Usman patted him on the shoulder. "Koi nahi yaar, tu ghar jaake rest kar. Gari hai tere paas? Main driver se kehta hoon woh tujhe ghar drop kardega."

"Nahi uski zaroorat nahi hai, main Adil ki gaari lekar aya hoon."

"Theek hai agar tu keh raha hai toh. Par shaadi wale din aise nahi chalega okay? Uss din tujhe function khatam hone tak rukna bhi hai aur dance bhi karna hai okay?"

Aman smiled and hugged him. "Done."

*****

He wasn't too familiar with the roads of Lahore but GPS and a few directions from bystanders helped him reach the venue with ease and he was expecting the same when he was headed back home. He was staying with Adil at his apartment. Adil was in his sophomore year of university. When the time came he chose to study in Lahore instead of staying in Islamabad. A part of it might have been influenced by the strained relationship he had shared with their father, but it was also his chance to prove himself so he took full advantage of it. Aman knew that Adil was a responsible kid and it made him happy to see his brother doing what he was doing today. Juggling a degree and a part time job, exceling in both. It wasn't easy, but he did it. His parents were proud too, but Adil was the humble kind and preffered staying lowkey about his achievements. It was only when his parents visited Lahore from time to time that they got to know about them. Despite being far way, Aman had always checked on him. They had developed a stronger friendship than hey had when he left, and it was only going to get better.

The speed of his car wasn't very high, Aman drove carefully. The streets were dimly lit and to top it all off the unfamiliarity hit him more since it was late in the night.

It was in the middle of a crossroad, when without a warning someone dashed across the street and hit the bonnet of his car. There were a few bystanders on the road who quickly gathered around. A panic-stricken Aman got out the car immediately and rushed to her side. It was a woman, or a girl. He couldn't tell as she laid on her stomach. There was chaos and noise around her, one of the man was already on his phone calling an ambulance. Aman let out a silent prayer hoping she was not hurt.

He bent down, sat on his knees beside her on the road, and slowly attempted to turn her around, holding her by the shoulders. He pulled up her head onto his lap, she was completely unconscious. Aman brushed off the hair from her face. The right side of it was covered in blood flowing from the laceration on her forehead.

Her skin was pale and there were scars that did not look like they were caused by the accident. Her eyes were closed, but he knew what their color were. They were light brown with a hue of amber. He knew that. He knew that because he knew those eyes, he knew her. Most people who knew wouldn't be able to tell, but he recognized her in a heartbeat. 

_____________________

Hello all you wonderful readers! How are you guys finding the story up until now? Any theories as to what might have happened to Firdaus? I'll be glad to hear some feedback from you all  ❤️