Asad chuckled at her response. "Sidra jee, aapke bete ko bhi toh haan bolna parega. Ek umar ke baad insaan ki adjustment capability kam ho jaati hai. Phir uske liye kisi aur ke saath zindagi guzarna utna asaan nahi hota. Aur Aman toh waise hi kaafi particular hai apne choices ke bare mein. He will need time to warm up to the idea of marriage. Toh abhi sey koshish shuru karne mein kya burai hai?"

"Nahi, burai koi nahi hai. Main aapki baton se sehmat hoon."

"Theek hai phir, woh Lahore se wapis aajaye toh main ussey baat karta hoon."

Asad went back to sipping his coffee, with a bit of relief. But the look on Sidra's face was not the same as his. There was something bothering her. Deep inside she knew where the feeling of unease was coming from but she would never bring it up.

*****

In the 6 years he spent in London, he missed many celebrations in Pakistan, also many in the UK. Studies and later internship kept him ever so busy, but he was not complaining. Aman wasn't an anti-social person. In fact he had many friends, but he did not particularly enjoy big, loud events. Much like the one he was at.

Usman was a school friend of theirs. Zubair and Kabir flew down to Lahore to attend the wedding as well, while Jannat had promised she'd arrive by the wedding day.

"Aman yaar, tu mehendi mein aise buddho ki tarah baithe rehne ke liye aya hai?" Zubair took a seat beside him and nudged.

"Tujhe pata hai na I don't like dancing."

"Haan par atleast hamare saath stage pe aake khara toh hosakta hai. We'll use you as a prop!" Kabir and Zubair broke out laughing while Aman only let out a chuckle.

"Zubair, iska kuch nahi ho sakta. London has absolutely done him no good. Intehaii bore bann chuka hai."

"Sorry guys, aaj sach mein mood nahi hai. Meri jet lag bhi abhi tak poori tarah se utri nahi and I'm very sleepy. Tum log jao, main yehi theek hoon." He politely smiled and refused.

"Okay doctor uncle. Aaj aapko baksh dete hai. Chal Kabir, hum hi jaate hai."

Aman watched his friends head back to the stage and felt somewhat relieved, but his relief was short lived as he saw someone approaching him that made him want to melt into his seat.

"Hi Aman. Or is it doctor Aman now?"

"Hey...Parisa."

"Long time huh?"

"Yeah." Thankfully, he thought. She sat down in the chair right beside him and it made Aman shift a little in his seat. A conversation with Parisa Sheikh was the last thing he was looking forward to.

"So, how's everything going?"

"Good. What about you, what are you doing these days?" He surely didn't want to indulge in a conversation but he did not intend to be discourteous either.

"I'm working with my dad in his business. It's going pretty well actually."

"That's good to hear."

"Tum London sey kab wapis aye? Aur, akele aye ho?"

"Yehi kuch ek hafte pehle, and, yeah, akele aya hoon. Kyun, kise se saath ana chahiye tha?"

Parisa chuckled. "No, you know what I meant. Mera matlab tha tum abhi bhi akele hi zindagi guzar rahe ho? It's hard to understand why someone like you is still single."

Aman tried to force a smile but it gave away how awkward he was. Parisa carried on without caring much about it.

"I know you weren't always single. Woh kya naam tha uska...?"