3.02 - Smart Cookie

"When will their reflections show that we are all shifters inside?" - Elise Owstoni

I use the back of my hands to rub my sleepy eyes. The coldness of the silver bands around my wrists brushes against my face, tight against my skin. My mom wears identical ones that I noticed last night; they mark us as bird shifters as they prevent us from changing forms and taking flight. Only royals have the keys to unlock them. The glass dome of Atrium also prevents us from leaving.

When I trudge through the dining and living room area, I notice a note on the table along with the keys to the apartment.

"Went back into the real world for work. Hope you join soon. Contact me through Oldie if you need anything."

Her straightforward writing is both formal and semi-detached, unlike the warm persona of last night. Don't focus on how it seems like she doesn't care about you. She helped create this game for you and was worried earlier.

I will tell her that you received her message.

Can you add "Love, Aurelia" and a smiley face to it? Happiness blossoms in me again.

Of course, Earthling. Here is a cookie for your thoughtfulness.

In my inventory, an icon of a chocolate chip cookie pops up. I grin and pull it out, munching on the yummy treat as I lock the apartment's door behind me. I should be nicer to him. Free food is amazing. My digestion system will hate me for this, but oh well, I'll deal with the stomachache later. The dimly lit hallway could be a scene from a horror movie, but I have food to shield me from my mind's negativity.

Thank you for the distraction. Wait, can you have food?

No, I do not have taste buds. While you eat a cookie, I see a block of code with the comment labeling the section as chocolate chip cookie. Within the block are smaller sections such as the cookie's dimensions, RGB, taste, texture, and animation. I can also detect the dopamine your brain has released.

Isn't that the happiness chemical thingy?

It is also responsible for your motivation. We all wish for your recovery and return to reality.

You're so eager to kick me out and be one of those grumpy old people whose grandchildren never visit. That's so depressing. Won't you miss me?

Being alone is not the same as lonely. You of all people should understand, and what it means to let someone go.

Jin's words hit closer to home than I would have liked. Flashes: meals spent by myself in an empty house, drowning in music to fill the silence and convincing myself that everything will be okay. Dread and fear tear at me, and I shove against the tide. Empathy, that is what he is trying to say.

Well, I'll still visit you after I wake since we're besties. How is Casper doing?

Badly. He has not reacted well to being turned into a koi shifter.

My steps stop and I burst out laughing, the sound traveling through the thin walls and echoing in the spiral staircase as I hold onto the railing for support.

Please tell me he's a stubby - I mean stupid - blubbery person now.

Sadly he is still a stupid hulk. He tried to go on land while in fish form. He didn't realize that he wasn't human anymore, and he was stuck on the shore until he flopped himself back into the water.

He has a fish brain.

You are the smart one in the couple. Also the nicest. Casper is scary when he's mad and confused.

Watch me fly into a glass window as soon as I get my wings. Was Casper being mean? I'll punch him for you.

He stopped after I threatened to send you the clip.

What? Why would you do that? I want to see derpy Casper!

Good thing I never promised not to send it.

I watch a white koi with black ink markings like a killer whale zip through the water and leap onto the shore. Casper tries to push himself up with his fins, not realizing that they're not human hands because they're too tiny to enter his line of vision. He's so adorable in his helplessness as his tail tries to help inch himself forward. His instincts at the lack of oxygen kick in, and he flings himself back into the water with a loud splash.

By the time the clip ends, my lungs were burning from my maniacal laughter, and I wipe away a few tears. Definitely going into my blackmail folder.

I will start on one right away and email it to you. The spy camera you purchased has captured quite a few unflattering photos of him over the years.

Should I tell Casper? At this point in our conversation, I had already passed by dozens of frozen cat shifters on my way to Moat. I did not want to interact with them yet.

I walk to the edge of the Moat, and surprise flits into my mind. Unlike usual bodies of water, Moat is completely clear. The sunlight does not lose its brightness as it travels through Moat's depths, and I can see all of the layers of fish casting shadows on the pebbled bottom. The light reflects against the shiny scales, the colors rippling against the surface.

Soon, a kumonryu koi pops its head up through the surface after Oldie directs him here. Casper splashes excitedly and waves hello with his translucent fins. I step back so the water does not inadvertently land on me.

"Still haven't figured out how to shift?" Somehow, he manages to look pitiful as he shakes his head no. I sense a female cat shifter approaching.

"How interesting, a bird and a fish being amiable to each other without fear," the cat's voice cuts in, her r's rolling. "The twittering birdbrain should have eaten the fish. Now I can wring the necks of two snacks instead of one."

Who is this lady calling me a birdbrain? I would like to keep my life, thank you very much. Don't worry stupid hulk princess, this knight will save you - if I'm feeling nice!

——
A/N
I think "stupid hulk" has become my favorite phrase to use in this book. Reminds me of Shrek and Donkey.