0.03 - Of Doubt

How did I do?

Player Profile: Aurelia Narcissus (Transmigrator #001)
Current Name - N/A
Level - 1 (need 2,000 cumulative soul points to level up)
Soul points - 540/1100 cumulative soul points

Stats:
Endurance: 37/100
Agility: 15/100
Strength: 25/100
Intelligence: 57/100
Charm: 87/100
Luck: 12/100

Skills: Studying (med), Perceptiveness (high), Piano (expert), Drama (low), Four Arts (med), acting (med), medicine (med), sword fighting (med)

Congratulations on leveling up, Earthling. Each of your stats increased by 5 points, but are you not the least concerned for Casper?

Shouldn't he be enjoying his time as a god, flying around in dragon form and relaxing now that I'm gone?

Despite our marriage, Casper must be tired of being around me for so long. He should be happy that he's not tied down. Personally, I need time away from other humans and NPCs too. As agreeable as he is with his loyalty, it is absurd to think that he still loves me, right? We're together because we share a common goal - to wake up to reality.

Your denial to appreciate and accept affection is blatantly apparent, Earthling. Do you wish to break off contact with Casper after you awaken? Did you know that he threw himself into the Xiang River to save you, but you continue to push him away because of your own stubbornness and stupidity? He avenged your death by killing Ehuang, then he sought to join you. His first question when he separated from Heidi's body was to ask me if you were okay.

Casper is the idiot here >:(

Oldie shouldn't be insulting me. Who asked Casper to sacrifice himself? No one, but the stupid hulk wanted to be a knight in shining armor or some other demeaning patriarchal reasoning and dived in anyway. Yeah, I'll blame that. He probably asked as an obligation because we're married. I push down my weirdly warm feelings at hearing his actions. My mind's adorable meter is malfunctioning. Quick, think of Brussel sprouts!

You are shifting the subject.

Hmph, fine, maybe he won't like me once he sees my wasted body lying on a hospital bed. Maybe, maybe... I doubt myself. I doubt that I can ever wake up and be with him. I'm scared that he'll leave me here and move on with his life, so I'm pushing him away in preparation. I doubt that I can treat him the same way he treats me. I know I tend to be narcissistic like you, Oldie.

Well yes, most of your fears revolve around yourself. You rarely think about others. It is a shield to protect you from them taking advantage of you, but let Casper be the exception.

Jin shows me some of my memories with Casper: Casper and I glaring at those who slighted us and plotting their demise, Casper letting me drag him to do mundane things like chores and shopping, times I called him a stupid hulk to his face and his stupid smiling response and our conversations together.

If you are unable to imagine a future with him, at least enjoy his company in the present. He has already entered the next world, and I promise that you will be able to make fun of him even more once you see him.

I brighten up at the possibility of insulting Casper more. I need more creative material!

Do I need to buy any skills or items?

No, I would save it for when we are in the world. Your current capabilities should suffice, surprisingly. Your low ability to attract drama will be beneficial later on.

Hmph, at least I'm not degrading like your aged self, Oldie. Who knows how outdated you are.

Outlines of five blue stars explode in my vision with an accompanying boom, and I shriek at their sudden appearance. Jin laughs, and I mentally slap him for his parlor trick. The electric blue color whirls back and forth before slowing to fill one and a half stars.

Uh-oh, this world will be more work to complete.

Serves you right for not respecting your elder.

Technically, you were created after I was born, so I'm older than you! You have to respect this elder now!

No, we have already established that I'm Oldie. "Youngy" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

... That sounds like a random rapper name or one of those weird millennial expressions.

You are a millennial yourself?

I do not wish to be associated with those loud childr-

Jin plays memories of me witnessing cute puppies at a park as a rebuttal. THEY ARE SO ADORABLE! I just want to hug all of the fluffy doggos. They were chasing after bubbles too, and I was trying to pop them before they could. Their confused expressions made me increase my efforts to block their swinging paws. I didn't want to be separated from their puppy eyes and small bodies, and Casper had to carry me away before I could ask their dogsitter if I could adopt one.

I rest my case.

The stars change to pictures of mission worlds, and it stops on a picture of a bird. Its black crown and mantle, bright orange to pale yellow underbelly gradient, yellow eyebrows, and black body with a white wing patch remind me of narcissus flowers in dark soil. The vivid bright colors contrast with the dark feathers. The bird is staring down at a river with its long wings spread in flight, a black and white koi fish looking up through the water. The bird's reflection blends onto the koi, and the water currents are bringing the fish upstream to a waterfall's edge. The title of the world is Reflexive Reflection.

The bird is a narcissus flycatcher, while the koi is a kumonryu. As you may have noticed, the pictures of the world correspond to your next role. Jin helpfully supplies.

Well, hopefully, I'm not the bloated killer whale fishy. I shudder at the thought of falling off the waterfall's edge.

Time to get into character.

——
A/N
Lighter chapter compared to the previous one. I'm sure you can probably guess which character will be which animal. The thought of having one of the protagonists as a chubby fish appeared in my mind a few days ago, and I just knew that I had to do it for comedy! Also, I would not recommend searching up "Youngy" and seeing related searches to it.