1.10 - Coda

Life's Melody - ft. Alex Battaglia goes on to be the iconic song of unrequited love, appearing in movies, musicals, tv shows and the go-to song for couples. I make sure to decorate his grave with fresh jonquil buds every week and replace the wilting flowers. I ask his headstone for forgiveness, knowing that he's unable to hear me until my next mission world. When I dropped a few hints about my life goal to be the best female instrumentalist, Michel decided to pull a few strings so that I will win the award tonight on live television broadcasted worldwide.

Yes, that's morally wrong, but I have to complete these missions somehow. It just so happens that one of them involves being with a golden thigh I can cling on. I don't ask him for many things: no presents, no anniversary celebrations, not even a honeymoon. After he heard my pitifully weak protests, he said that I mean everything to him, so I deserved the best. He's happy whenever he's able to provide for me, and I laugh at his childlike sincerity. To the rest of the world he may be a cold, dominant CEO, but to me he is a softie and pushover whenever he thinks I want something. I'm... touched that he cares for me so much when back in my previous life, I skipped countless meals and sleeping time for my education and part-time jobs.

I'm wearing a formal black dress, the skirt having a glossy tulle layer with silver music notes embroidered on the hem. Michel is sitting to my right wearing a matching outfit, his silver tie and black suit complimenting me, while Stella is sitting to my left wearing a silver dress. The World Music Awards is the most prestigious award a music artist can receive as the pool of applicants span the entire globe. Last year's Best Female Instrumentalist was a famous Chinese guqin player who won the award for her signature style that brings new twists to traditional elements.

The award bestower person is wearing an extravagant outfit as she walks to the podium. "Next up is The Best Female Instrumentalist award. This is given to the most talented female musician in the world, excluding singers. The winner of this year was chosen for her beautiful, lamenting voice in a famous song that you all know, and her instrumental playing has astounded billions of people. Combined with a beautiful heart, she is...." The hostess slowly opens a letter and reads its contents, her face stretching into a delighted expression. "Kayla Abernathy!"

Applause sounds throughout the room, and my face widens in shock before I confidently walk to the stage, feeling the cameras trained on me. Michel and Stella are applauding the most, and I'm afraid that they're going to turn into those seals that perform in circuses with how comical their flapping arms look. The hostess hands me the golden award of a music staff encircling a female figure cradling an eighth note and the globe resting upon her head like a crown. I hold it with a dazzling smile as I kiss the figurine's head before presenting it in front of me to the crowd, tears forming in my eyes.

You could win a different famous award for your acting, Earthling.

Thanks, Oldie. I thought it would be too arrogant if I was strutting like a peacock once she said I was the winner.

I face the hostess, and she speaks into the microphone, "Kayla Abernathy, what would you like to say for being chosen as the best female instrumentalist in the world?!"

She hands me the microphone, and I say the speech that I wrote yesterday at the show's dress rehearsal. "First off, I would like to dedicate the award to my late boyfriend, Alex Battaglia. Countless hours were spent together creating Life's Melody, and it is truly a song that sings to the soul. Thank you, Alex, for being such an amazing person. Thank you, Stella and my parents, for supporting me throughout my journey. I know this award almost went to someone else, a copyright infringer, but I'm glad that Michel Rubato helped me resolve this issue and uphold the integrity of original works. Most of all, thank you, everyone, who is watching this for choosing to experience music in your lives. May we all find our own melodies in life."

The applause is much louder this time, the vibrations ringing in my ears at the enthusiastic audience of famous people in the music industry and beyond. I walk off the stage and go to sit in my seat that Michel has an arm around. Everyone is staring at us now that Michel is the CEO of his family's record label company, wanting to make connections with him.

"I don't like it when other people look at you. It makes me want to lock you up somewhere and never have you leave," Michel states, his eyes darkening in jealousy.

o_O?....... -_- wow. Suddenly I'm his property and no longer have human rights.

Earthling, I'm tired of men being shamelessly possessive in these CEO worlds. Why not do the same to him or lecture him as one would do to a misbehaving dog? His behavior is uncultured.

Hm, he needs some potty-training. I don't want him urinating on me as his property - figuratively, of course.

Figuratively or literally, he needs to change.

Thank you, Oldie, for your wisdom.

You are sincerely welcome, Earthling.

"Michel," I say, pushing his hand off the back of my chair, "it's not right to treat me as property. I deserve some freedom as a human being, alright? I would appreciate it if we're equals. We don't belong to each other. We choose to be together, and it's the power of choice that makes relationships so special. No matter what obstacles we face, we can still be together."

His eyes widen, and he rushes to ameliorate the situation. "I understand, Kayla. I am sorry for making you feel irritated at me. I was reading romance novels to understand the concept of a couple, and all the male protagonists in there are possessive to the girls they like, so I thought all women are attracted to jealousy."

"That's just a stereotype. You should know better than to box Kayla into 'all women.' She's unique, just like everyone else," Stella responds. She sends me a wink, and I give her a thumbs up in gratitude.

Oldie had remained silent ever since the award's ceremony.

From that moment onwards up until Michel and I are lying on our deathbeds together with our children and grandchildren sending us off into the afterlife, Michel took my words to heart and never treated me as 'lesser' than he was.

He didn't get mad when I had male friends and wanted to spend time with them since he knew that I would never cheat on him, and in return, I didn't have to pretend to be jealous if I ever saw him so much as look at another female.

We were the perfect husband and wife team: partners in love, in hard times, and in our work lives. Sure we had our arguments like when I acted with little common sense and Michel would be frustrated, or when Michel was too stressed from work yet refused to relax, but we stayed together to the end.

Memories of our wedding flit through my head as I lie next to him, Kayla's body fatigued with age. We had replaced "till death do us part" with "till our souls' deaths do us part," and the elderly Asian priest symbolically tied a piece of red thread that connected my pinkie finger to Michel's to emphasize that it is our souls that are connected to each other, not our bodies.

It was a request I made as growing up, I loved hearing stories of Chinese mythology from my mom, and the ones about Yue Lao, the old lunar matchmaker god, was my favorite. I secretly love shipping people and strived to make as many cute couple moments with Michel as possible.

Michel stares at me with a knowing look in his unchanged, electric blue eyes. While the rest of his body changed, his eyes that are similar to mine did not, and they still hold love for me. I muster up the effort to smile at him.

"Till we meet again," I emptily promise. He returns my smile.

"Till we meet again." We both close our eyes, and my vision fades to darkness as I feel my soul separating from the body of Kayla Abernathy.

——
A/N
Wow, just wow. We've completed one arc, and there are hints for the next ones that you'll understand later on. You might've discovered them already :) For the past week or so, I've been thinking about the other worlds Transmigrator #001 (we don't know her true name) she'll travel to and the end goal. Thank you for supporting me!