1.09 - Vengeance is Sweet

"Since I have little else to give." - Life's Melody

Michel hovers around me like a mother hen all night: personally feeding me chicken noodle soup, fluffing up my pillow, tucking me in to sleep and arguing with the doctors when they say I can be discharged.

"Let Kayla stay in the hospital for another night."

I open my mouth to speak, but a quick glare from Michel causes me to snap it shut, and I pout at him for not letting me input my own opinion. It's my life after all.

"Let Kayla decide. We have to head to court soon, and she probably wants justice for Alex. It'll be part of the healing process for her," Stella speaks up for me, her tone matter of fact. I give her a grateful smile. See, someone understands me.

"Fine, if it makes her happy. We can all take my car, and I'll drive us there," Michel reluctantly relents before carrying me in his arms princess-style. His grip is firm but gentle as I flail my arms before wrapping them around his neck, which inadvertently brings our bodies closer together. Blood rushes to my cheeks, and I bury further into Michel's embrace as he chuckles at my shy actions.

"M-Michel?" I stare down at the simple hospital dress covering my body.

"Yes, Kayla?"

"C-can you put me down so I can change?" Michel tightens his arms at the thought of letting me go and drags his electric blue eyes down my frame, finally noticing my attire. His mind flickers behind his gaze for a response before he smiles mysteriously at me.

"Of course I will help you change."

I squeak, "What?" Stella shakes her head at his unabashed words and decides to leave us alone. The doctors follow suit, and the once lively room is now overtaken by Michel's overbearing presence.

Michel frowns teasingly, "Does Kayla need to stay in the hospital to check her hearing? I'm simply assisting my girlfriend."

I continue to try different tactics to escape from his hold as he carries me to the bathroom where my clothes are folded neatly by the sink, all to no avail. Stupid hulk, why is he so eager to see me without clothes? Oo, I have a new nickname for him.

Michel deliberately blocks the doorway as he sets me down on the floor, the tiles' edges digging into my bare feet.

"Finally you listen to me, you stupid hulk," I haughtily say as I tilt my head up to glare at him. He's a good two heads taller than me, and he smiles indulgently at me.

"Your little kitty claws wound my heart, Kayla. I'm only a stupid hulk for you," he flirts shamelessly, his eyes dancing in mirth. What happened to the ruthless CEO in the original storyline?

I turn my head away from him - not because my craning neck hurts; he is simply beneath my consideration. I grab my clothes before darting into the bathtub and wresting the stubborn shower curtains closed, the metal shower rings clanging as they bump into each other. Thankfully Michel isn't a pervert and understands the need for privacy as he only laughs at my discomfort.

I efficiently change into a comfy sweater and light blue jeans, then I slide the curtains back to reveal Michel standing with the attitude of a watchful dragon protecting his treasure. I try to skirt around him to leave the bathroom, but he ends moving in the same direction as I do no matter where I turn. My patience wears down with each successive block, and I stop my actions to pout at him while sending a glare.

"Your efforts to avoid me are adorable, Kayla, but I thought that you never wanted to let me go?" The words I said earlier to placate him now turn on me, and my glare narrows even further. I grab his hand and stalk out of the room while struggling to wear my tennis shows with one hand. Michel obligingly lets me drag him along. I follow the signs placed conveniently around the hospital and navigate us out of the hospital before allowing Michel to lead us to the car; the entire time, onlookers whisper and stare at us.