1.02 - When Rivals Meet

"I will find you, I will protect you." - Life's Melody

Thank God Kayla's parents bought her a car. It is a white, premium sports sedan from a luxury car brand in this "Earth." I quickly unlock the car, place my things in the passenger seat and drive like a madman to park next to a stately building with an overarching portico in the front and famous sections of music pieces painstakingly carved into each column, one for each instrument that Allegro Academy teaches. It's dedicated to general music, and there are separate buildings for each type of instrument - choral, strings, brass, woodwind and percussion - across the sprawling campus.

I navigate the halls of the General Music Building, keeping my gaze on the room number plaques with Oldie as my GPS.

Turn right here, and it should be the last door to your left. WATCH OUT FOR -

"OOF!" I yelp, the sound muffled against the thin fabric of a pink blouse.  My face is against a soft, warm surface, and I tilt my head up the familiar figure until I see that I have crashed into none other than Nikki Schumann.

You really have poor luck and agility, clumsy Earthling.

Shut up Oldie, you could've warned me sooner that Ms. Female Lead was in my way. I'll spend my skill points to increase my stats, alright?

She was heading to the bathroom, and class has already started. I am glad that you acknowledge this weak spot of yours.

I am not weak, you misogynist, old-fashioned Oldie!

Earthling is using big words. She is mighty and fearsome, oh my! I am quaking in my non-existent boots.

I will take that as a compliment.

"Watch where you're going!" Nikki exclaims while she brushes my hands off the front of her blouse and abruptly pushes me to the marble tiled floor.

"Ow, I'm sorry for bumping into you, okay?" My face heats up as I realize that I was squeezing onto... certain body parts... in my fright.

You are a perv, Earthling.

It was an accident!

Your slow reaction time does not help your case.

Nikki glares at me before striding off towards the restrooms, her high heels clicking at an allegretto pace and sending sharp vibrations into my ears with each step in the empty halls. Everyone is already in their classrooms.

I am proud that your charm skills prevented her from escalating the situation even further.

I thought I was the optimistic one of this duo?

Focus on the missions, Earthling.

I open the door as silently as possible and step into the classroom. I perk up when I see Stella in the middle of the raised stands of students with row upon row of desks, an empty seat next to her. However, my happiness is cut short when my attention is directed to the sound of a forcefully cleared throat. My vision falls on the annoyed teacher standing in the front of the room. So much for a first impression. I already have at least two people who dislike me.

I give a saikeirei bow to the offended man, showing my deepest regrets through my posture.

"I am terribly sorry for being late, professor. Please excuse this insolent student and I will make sure that this will not happen again." I return back to my usual straight posture after these words but keep my eyes lowered so I don't make eye contact with him.

"What is your name?" He asks, the weight of his gaze lightening up a bit at my actions.

"Kayla Abernathy, sir. Please accept my sincere apologies," I implore, giving another bow.