2.06 - Winter's Reign

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." - Chinese proverb.

"Do you want a wedding sedan and betrothal gifts?" Casper asks me in his office.

We're facing across from each other on cherrywood chairs, and I stare at the deep red hue tinging the desk between us. The scene of when I first saw him as Michel sitting across from his father plays in my mind, and I cannot help but notice that he has the same confident posture as before with his straight back and hands rested calmly on the beautifully carved desk.

This world has not developed the three letters and six etiquettes for wedding ceremonies as it was mostly scattered primitive societies still ruled more by gods and goddesses than men. Emperor Shun is one of the few married people in his entire empire, and even then it was more of a command by my father. Most had loose relationships with the other gender, and there are little to no established customs for marriage.

"A sedan seems pointless since I'm already living with you."

"Okay, what about gifts?"

I bite my lower lip in indecision. He's already paying for the entire wedding ceremony, and everything I could possibly want is already provided for.

Casper pokes my cheek lightly, breaking me from my thoughts. "Before you tell me you don't want anything, how about choosing a crown fit for the Empress of the Heavens?"

"Yes, I can't wait to see all the pretty craftsmanship!" I push off my seat to stand and look at his amused electric blue eyes in anticipation. Happiness blooms within me, and I rock my feet back and forth with a grin that's starting to hurt my jaw. Why is he still sitting there? Let's go already!

As if knowing my thoughts, he laughs before reaching for my hand and dashing through the halls. The long sleeves of my dress billow behind me like dancing ribbons, and Casper uses his wind magic to make sure I'm not being dragged harshly behind him.

Our wild laughter scares the immortal servants we pass, their bodies flung against the walls with wide eyes as the hurriedly make room for us to pass. The entire time, Casper is staring at me to watch my reactions, my figure reflected in his irises. His cheeks are flushed pink, and I think mine are too. The palace is a blur of bright colors and sensations, most notably red for the wedding, and we abruptly stop in front of two iron doors with red paper cut out in the Chinese character 喜, one on each door, to wish happiness for us, the engaged couple.

My body doesn't jerk from the inertia as Casper once again thought ahead to use his magic to prevent me from harm. His hand steadies me, and I loop my other arm in his. Hah, his arm is now my hostage and personal pillow. The guards have long fled, and Casper pushes open one of the doors before bowing to me.

"Your crown awaits, Wifey." I smile at his antics. His head is parallel to the ground, and I stare at his temping strands of dark hair. I can't resist my hand from reaching out to lightly pat his soft hair. I feel a slight resistance from a magical barrier, and the once dark room is flooded with bright light. The light reflects off the countless treasures placed in the room, and I feel as if I have walked into a museum exhibit.

My jaw drops as I wander around the room seeing displays of armor, weapons, jewels and more. I go from one object to the next, wanting to know the history behind them. The entire back wall is devoted to jewelry fit for royalty, and I stare with rapt attention.

"They're all so beautiful," I murmur.

"The door to the crown room is to our right," Casper says near my ear. I shiver, and he presses his back into mine, arms wrapped around my waist. It's then that I notice an iron door similar to the entrance. It too is surrounded by protective magic.

Floating crowns of different styles and sizes in the circular room greet me. Casper lets me enjoy the view in silence, content to observe my reactions. While all of them are beautiful, I feel a pull leading me past the haphazardly hovering headpieces, ending at a simple yet elegant gold piece. The band is made of delicately carved narcissuses with golden arcs carved with small vines enveloping where the hair-bun should be. The petals cup tiny ruby centers cut in the shape of ovals. Casper rests it on my head, and it's a snug fit. It is not elaborately large nor hard to put on, seemingly made for me.

"Perfect," I say.

"With the power vested in this Highest Deity, I pronounce the couple husband and wife, the Emperor and Empress of the Heavens!" My father Shangdi says, the acting priest of the ceremony. A roar of applause sounds from the hundreds of guests crowded into the pavilion, some spilling outwards onto the cobblestone paths.

We're in Casper's Garden of Eternal Spring where the enchanted narcissuses bloom year round instead of the end of winter. I feel the crown's weight on my head. Thankfully it's not heavy enough to break my neck. We have just exchanged our wedding vows and bowed to the north and each other, showing our respect to the Heavens we rule and our union. The sun has already set, and the moon begins its reign over the realms.

"I would like to show my gifts to my new husband," I say to Casper, not looking away from his electric blue eyes.

Let us witness your stunning performance, Earthling.

Wish me luck!

I too wish to improve your luck statistic.

(•~• ll )

I wave my hand, and a guqin appears before me, the silver strings reflecting the moon's rays. Kneeling on the wood planks, I play a piece I composed of my memories with Casper in this world, and they play in my mind like move clips. Shock, anticipation, giddiness, laughter, teases, sadness and homesickness poured into one composition.

The entire garden is silent as I kowtow to Casper. I bring out scroll I kept in my Inventory, but I smoothly take it out from my sleeve. I unravel my ink brush painting of narcissuses flowers among bamboo, the fauna dusted with a layer of snow. A poem is written in the corner.

"My wife is talented in the four arts," Casper comments, then shows the painting to the crowd. "The symbolism of heavenly nandina bamboo bending to protect the Xiang River goddess and the God of the North is cleverly employed to show our union and love."

I hear the crowd's appraisal. While I have not yet shown my proficiency in Go, they already assume my talents are top-notch. Some of the women make jealous comments of me taking credit for another's work, but they are overwhelmed by the people defending my reputation.

"I too have prepared a wedding gift for my wife," Casper declares with a doting smile. He has remained tight-lipped about the surprise the entire week no matter how often I inquire or spy on him. "I hope it is to her liking."

On cue, I hear a cracking sound above me. Could it be? I look up and see an explosion of bright firecrackers, the light shining down on the crowd of deities who laugh and chatter in delight. Casper's warm hand squeezes mine, and I rest my head against his shoulder as we watch the light show.

"Casper, is this what happiness looks like?" I ask, still staring at the display. No smoke clouds the sky for long, and I conclude it's due to Casper dissipating it into the wind. In the distance, I can make out the figure of the moon goddess controlling the beams of light.

"What do you mean, Wifey?"

"They're bright pops of light. Happiness illuminates the otherwise dull life, but after a while, the emotion fades until a new joy is experienced. Sometimes it lingers like smoke, the final remains of the happy moments in our memories." I cringe at how philosophical my words are.

"You're right, but the happiness you have with me should not fade. It should be an endless ribbon of light."

The fireworks increase in intensity, and it ends with a dazzling heart that expands towards us before disappearing. I cheer with the crowd in approval.

"Thank you for the lovely gift, husband."

"It is my pleasure to shower you with treasures, Wifey."

——
A/N
Happy (late) Independence Day to my readers from America!