2.07 - Iceberged Human

"Keep a green tree in your heart, and perhaps a singing bird will come." - Chinese proverb.

Something's off about Oldie, and I don't know what it could be. He's been busy trying to find Alex, but he returns empty-handed every night when he gives me a daily report. Casper and the rest of the males are sacrificing a white horse, sheep, and goose for their ancestors in the temples.

I stare out the window at the sparkling frost scattered like powdered sugar on the ground. Moonlight filters in through the window, still bright as festivities for the winter solstice reign in the earth realm. I make a few shadow puppets against the windowpane. Looking down on the lively humans celebrating together, I think of my own family, and my hands move to rest my chin upon the windowsill.

Are my parents okay? They must have moved on already by now. I do not know how long I have been away from Earth, but I long to go back.

My family would have been eating tangyuan and dumplings together. Tangyuan is a chewy jasmine rice ball that can have many different kinds of fillings. Saliva forms at the thought of having red bean paste tangyuan. My mom would be talking about how families on this day have tuan tuan yuan yuan (团团圆圆), where they celebrate together.

They're worried about you, Earthling.

I startle at the disruption. I never know the extent to which he can read Casper and I's thoughts. Maybe his capabilities continue to grow each day. I shake my head from my deviating thoughts and focus back on his words. He mentioned my parents.

Yes, I am able to surveillance them. I have not been entirely truthful to you.

How can you connect to the realm of the living? In case you haven't noticed, I'm dead.

You are not dead, Earthling. After you were hit by the truck, paramedics assumed that you were going to die, but they rushed you to the operating room anyways. Thanks to your mother, you are able to survive. This is a simulation game made by your parents and Casper's grandfather in the hopes that you would wake up from your coma.

Lies. My life - or afterlife, I should say - has been lied to. Sforzando chords layer emotions of distrust, sadness, hurt and anger, each note with its own pressure upon the keys, the pitches sustained within me. The different intervals combine. Many measures pass, but the chords still resonate, retained in ties. A low pitch of hope pushes its way to the surface of detection, attempting to offset the heavy chords.

I'm still alive in the real world. This is just a game embedded to a prolonged dream, created by people who care about Casper and I. But why? Why keep me here in these worlds?

Your body will take a long time to heal, especially your brain injuries. They wished for you to not have the side effects of waking up, which includes nightmares. It was decided that it was best to let you believe you were dead until your mind is capable of hearing this information.

My parents look out for me? The chords expand to brighter notes, suspending my being. I think, somewhere and somehow, I can understand their actions. I try to imagine being in my own body, Aurelia Narcissus, but I can't grasp any consciousness. I push myself harder, and my brain hurts from the effort.

Perhaps you will become stronger with every world. As long as you remember that this is merely a simulator, you can find your way back to your tether, reality.

Thanks, Oldie, for being such an amazing motivator.

My name is Jin, actually. I came up with the name myself to create a new identity.

Hello, Jin! When I go back to the real world, would you still be there?

I am a software that is part of the headset currently attached to your head. When you wake up, you can still visit me in your dreams using it. You can also see me in your father's companies worldwide.

So no matter where I go, we'll be friends, right? Don't forget that we're besties >:(

We... are? You do not mind that I am an A.I. that is "impossible to love"?

Didn't I call you my bestie the first time we met? Without your advice and company all this time, I would have been long dead or would have thought that this was the afterlife forever. Whoever says you're impossible to live deserves a slap in the face or more, repeatedly. I'll be an angry bee. Poke the hive of my loved ones, and I will come after you.

Bzzzz, I'm a part of the Aurelia Hive.

My eyes bug out at his words. Hearing him make a joke in a serious tone combined with the use of a contraction is unbelievable.

I'm so proud of you. Old dogs can learn new tricks! Next you need to learn how to laugh.

I am capable of laughing, Earthling.

His chuckle is depthless like a chilly iceberg, only allowing you to see the surface of cold amusement. For some reason, I'm not scared since I feel as if his emotionless aura isn't directed at me.

The person you are looking for is Casper.

What did he do?

What did he not do. The reason I return empty-handed every night is because of Casper, Alex no longer exists in this game.

Is this related to the missions given to my by my parents and his grandfather? Jin lets me rant my thoughts, silent as a vigilant.

So, the true reason why Alex had a heart attack was because they decided to take him away from me to push me to be with Casper. They would rather see me heartbroken than fall in love with artificial intelligence, hence Jin's comment earlier. The discrimination is unbelievable. Why give me false hope?

Well Earthling, I was going to elaborate and give you an offer. An imaginary pair of hands holding a deck of cards pops in my mind, the body obscured in shadow.

What kind of offer?

I will bring back Alex Battaglia, and in exchange you let me experience what it is like to be human.