2.02 - Savior

"A good wife and health are a man's best wealth." - Chinese proverb

Dishes of meat - fish, sheep, and geese - caught by the Khitan hunters are distributed by the women. The tribe is so large that not everyone can fit into the yurt, and some are outside around campfires in the cold, low-oxygen atmosphere. Beicheng is a traveling "village," and the Khitans will stay on the peak of this mountain until after the winter solstice in a week's time, where they will travel down the Greater Khingan Mountains seeking warmer weather and shelter. Almost all of the high-ranking male Khitans have a harem of their own, though none as large as Chief Yuwen Mohuai. Because I have gained Emperor Shun's favor, he chooses to feed me dishes first before eating himself, the tender gesture causing a blush to form on my cheeks. 

Gifts are exchanged between the two leaders, with Emperor Shun's chests of treasures and Chief Yuwen Mohuai's kalugas and Indian lotuses fresh from Black Dragon River. It is said that all objects there are blessed by Heidi, the Dark Heavenly Highest Deity whose form is a black dragon. Possessing a blessed object from the river gives you the ability to triumph over evil. The original Nuying has never met him, only knowing that the Dark Warrior is her father's commander of the twelve heavenly legions, famed for his battle skills in defeating the Demon King many years ago. Not many know his true face, given his mysterious and wintry nature, but it is said that his blue eyes are as cold as ice and only show energy on the battlefield. A sacrificial pit is made in the center of the yurt.

"Let us celebrate the arrival of His Imperial Majesty and Noble Consort and ask Heidi to bless us with plentiful food from his river and a forgiving winter," Chief Yuwen Mohuai proclaims. Live animals are brought to the raging inferno, their bodies incinerated by the ravenous flames. The hunters brag that they are the best and present the animals proudly to us. Tensions rise, and I scoot closer to Emperor Shun. 

The blaze develops a life of its own, jumping out of the pit to consume anyone unfortunate enough to be with it. Strange men dressed in black block the only exit and take down those trying to escape, and Emperor Shun and I are in the farthest corner away. The chief is nowhere to be seen, and the abandoned Khitans call out for Heidi to save them. 

Warning: Killing Intent Spotted.

The fire eats at the top of the yurt, controlled by Ehuang to prevent any escape. The circular spot of sky seems to taunt us: so close yet so far. I empathize with the story of a frog who was trapped at the bottom of a well, witnessing freedom but not having the chance to grasp it. The spy camera had shown Ehuang plotting the day Emperor Shun and I left for Beicheng, and I sense her presence miles away, her figure hidden from view by the clouds. I wait until embers appear on Emperor Shun's robes before fighting against Ehuang's power, using the nearby Black Dragon River to quench the flames. We are evenly matched, and I know it won't be long before my energy starts waning, so I seize the opportunity to wrap my phoenix feather cloak around the survivors, the fabric transforming into a gigantic phoenix to rise among the flames now hundreds of meters below. I control the magical bird to swallow Ehuang's hired men for future questioning as I set everyone gently down on the riverside, the bird once again a cloak billowing around me. The now tied up black-clothed men are in the center, and for a moment it is silent.

Finally, a voice calls, "All hail Noble Consort Nuying for saving our lives!" The words are repeated multiple times, becoming a chant of loyalty as the kowtow to me, Emperor Shun and I the only ones standing. His dark eyes are filled with gratitude. 

"Did you see Chief Yuwen Mohuai abandoning us to die? Thank goodness we have a goddess on our side."

"Why isn't Noble Consort Nuying the Empress? Emperor Shun is lucky to have her as his savior."

"Thank you, Nuying, for saving my life. I am indebted to you for life." My eyes widen at his drop of formality and use of first person. Emperor Shun places his fist onto his open palm for a salute as he slightly dips his head. 

"It is this servant's duty to protect His Imperial Majesty." Emperor Shun laughs while shaking his head, and I smile at his happiness.

"Call me Shun. It won't do for my savior to speak to me so formally. Besides, you are also my wife." 

"Okay... Shun," I tentatively test out his name, and his eyes darken before leaning his face into mine.

"How bold of the Emperor to favor his Noble Consort more than the Empress! In my opinion, Noble Consort Nuying does not hold a candle to the Imperial Mother, in talents or looks," A voice claims, and our heads shift to see it coming from one of the black-clothed men. I raise an eyebrow at his stupidity.

"So the one who conspired to kill us is Empress Ehuang? She has certainly trained her assassins to be loyal to Shun." 

"That conniving snake! Hear my decree: goddess or not, this Zhen hereby divorces Empress Ehuang. Noble Consort Nuying will be crowned as Imperial Mother when we return. Surely the Highest Deity will understand that I cannot stay married to one of his daughters for she attempted to murder her own husband," Emperor Shun is burning with rage as his personal eunuch records his words. If Ehuang were mortal, nine generations of her family would have been murdered, and I also would have suffered from her actions. 

Warning: Killing Intent Spotted. The robotic voice detects his desire to avenge himself. 

"Shun should blame Nuying for not being able to curb her sister's ill intentions," I say to give face to my family. His stiff frame softens upon my voice. 

"It is that evil Ehuang's fault. You cannot be held responsible for her, Nuying, as you did not force her to try to kill me. It was her own free will."

"I will fly us back to the palace while our people can solve Beicheng's disputes here and establish order. They will learn to share and allocate resources as a community instead of fighting among themselves."

Before Emperor Shun can respond, the river erupts next to us with a loud boom, the water falling back into the river like blooming flower petals as a male figure stands on top of the water. His dark hair stands proudly on his head, and next to him is a bronze-colored tortoise. I gasp when his electric blue eyes fall on me. 

——
A/N
:)